Keeping two IRNs separated

Moderator: Mods

Chase

Keeping two IRNs separated

Post by Chase »

I have two indian ringnecks at a little less then a year old. They are tame, but not really socialized/trained.

My main issue at the moment is that I can't keep them separated. They both have different cages in different parts of the house that they will sleep in, but once it becomes morning they will squawk up a storm until they either fly off and find each other or I bring them together. I feel like this dependance on each other is hurting the socializing/training process.

If necessary I can always keep them locked up in their separate cage, but I don't feel this is a solution to the issue. My other alternative is to find a new owner for one of them, as I feel they would both would be much more social birds if there was only one around.

Does anyone have any experience with this kind of behavior and have any suggestions?
ellieelectrons

Re: Keeping two IRNs separated

Post by ellieelectrons »

Hi chase

I think what you are describing is natural bird behavior. My personal opinion (and im sure not everyone would agree with me) is that birds need to know that they are birds and I think that is healthy. Training them when you have two will be harder but not impossible. My two cohabitate but we did buy one a year after the other. Our second bird is the most well adjusted of the two although he did take longer to tame. I think he is more well adjusted because he likes being around us but doesn't "need" us whereas our first bird "needs" us. I hope that makes sense. In the end though each situation is different and you need to do what is best for your situation.

Ellie.
Chase

Post by Chase »

I appreciate your advice in this situation. I agree what they are doing is normal, so I don't consider it bad behavior or anything like that. I'm just a bit concerned that the situation might be making it a bit difficult to get them socialized.

So if I get you right, your saying that, it will be more difficult to train them, not impossible, and I really just need to keep at it?

To give a little back story for the two. One of them I believe is male, the other I believe to be female. I obtained the two birds at about 9 months old a few months back. They originally were kept inside of the same cage by the original owners, and at that point they were not tame at all. Since I've had them they have eventually warmed up to me and the house, slowly becoming a bit more trusting with being around them, giving them treats, even sometimes taking them into the shower. I've kept them in separate cages at the house, though most of the day they spend in/around one.

Although I've made progress with them, they really haven't wanted much to do with me or anyone else at the house. They would rather be on their cage hanging out with the other bird and keep themselves occupied without my involvement. Sometimes I can get them to stay on my shoulder for brief periods of time, but generally once they see their cage they will attempt to flutter back in that direction.

A large number of years ago I had two cockatiels that displayed similar behavior. I got one baby, then a older rescue one a few months later. With them I made the mistake of letting them live in the same cage. I tried for a long period of time to involve myself in their life, but they generally only wanted to hang out with each other and were super attached to their cage. When looking at this situation, I fear the same thing might happen with the IRNs.

A few years later I obtained a baby quaker, which I owned for 3 years before my room mate picked up one himself that was already 15. They lived in two separate cages that were close to each other, but they really could care less about the other having been solitary birds for most of their previous lives. Both of the quakers were a delight to have around, they were full of personality and always wanted to be involved with the members of the house. I guess with the IRNs I almost am looking for that kind of involvement/affection with the birds.

Although I've had the chance to take care of and train several birds for long periods of time, sometimes I feel like I'm still new to it all. Especially being that IRNs are new as a species to me compared to the ones I've had in the past. I just want to make sure that I'm taking the right steps to teach and train the birds, and that the personality I'm looking for is something I can obtain from them.

Again I do appreciate your advice!
- Chase
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Were your birds raised by humans or by their parents? My gut feel is if they were and raised you have a pretty god chance of taming them.

Ellie.
myrka2004

Post by myrka2004 »

I'm not expert, but my thought is that your birds was as a pair before... and you want to separate them then. That why they want to be as pair again and later, and i think you can't do anything about it. May be separate to other room to not see and hear each other.
I have a both IRN too, Mikkie girl 4.5 and Rio boy 5.5 months, also in separate cages in one room... and I think your way too, that I bought too early the 2nd bird as companion, because after that I read that they not might be speak then. :((( And when I talk with one of my parrot the 2nd start too, and then they forgot about me and they talk with each other that is I not so want.
julie

Post by julie »

It helps to have some food or something they like to get them to actually want to come to you,things in packets that get their attention or some other thing they really want to have. Like ellie says it is very hard work,but it is worthwhile in the end. With them wanting to get back to the cage,is it possible for you to take them into a different room where the cage cant be seen?
julie

Post by julie »

myrka2004 wrote:I'm not expert, but my thought is that your birds was as a pair before... and you want to separate them then. That why they want to be as pair again and later, and i think you can't do anything about it. May be separate to other room to not see and hear each other.
I have a both IRN too, Mikkie girl 4.5 and Rio boy 5.5 months, also in separate cages in one room... and I think your way too, that I bought too early the 2nd bird as companion, because after that I read that they not might be speak then. :((( And when I talk with one of my parrot the 2nd start too, and then they forgot about me and they talk with each other that is I not so want.
I have 3 in the same cage ,they do talk to eachother and they talk to me too and sometimes just one will be talking and sometimes all 3 are talking at the same time. when you say that you talk to one and the other talks too it may be an idea to talk to both, try saying their name to them IE say hello mikkie while looking at her and then turn to Rio and say hello Rio,try changing pitches in your voice to get the individual birds attention away from the other.
Chase

Post by Chase »

ellieelectrons wrote:Were your birds raised by humans or by their parents? My gut feel is if they were and raised you have a pretty god chance of taming them.

Ellie.
Unfortunately I'm not entirely sure if they were hand raised or not. The person I had obtained them from were not the original owners and they had not known much about the bird's past. I know the person I got them from certainly didn't treat them well as I could tell from their starting personality.

Overall the birds have really warmed up from when I originally got them. Before they were frightened of anything and anyone, not wanting a lick to do with people. Since then I can get them to step up, take treats, and one of them I can keep in my lap for a little bit of time before she gets fidgety.

They just always appear to be distracted, never really truly wanting to interact. I can pick them up sure, but unless I have a treat they always act like they have something else completely on their minds and are kind of ignoring the fact that I'm there.

I'm still getting the feeling that finding another good home for one of them might be the answer. Seeing how much they have changed so far in a good home makes me believe that with more direct human interaction they really will be good for them.
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

My Charlie was like that when I brought him home but over time he has improved. He was hand raised but possibly not handled enough when young. My personal opinion is that it's kinder to the bird to have a companion of its own species but I know not everyone would agree so I'll try not to push that line too hard. :)

Ellie.