I Dont know what to do about this

Moderator: Mods

iCopernicus

I Dont know what to do about this

Post by iCopernicus »

Ok I Dont know how to deal with this. Please dont Laugh, its alittle Embarrassing but im tired of it... I Have a 3 Month Old Indian Ringneck who wont let me Sleep... And im not talking about the yelling and screaming part. Since i gotten Him, each Night he Screams Until i let him out of the cage to "Cuddle" with me. I Like to Sleep in my Bra and Undies and Each night he Just HAS to sleep Between my Bosom. I Have a Little Kitty who Sleeps next to me while i Write or play video games and that's Usually on my tummy or back. My Mom jokes that Ianto(Ringneck) picked up the Behavior from my cat. I just dont know what to do, I stay up until he calms down cause im afraid if i sleep i may roll over, even though i dont roll much, I dont want him to get Squished. =(
Is there anyone who can Give me Some advice on this?
vivalamom

Re: I Dont know what to do about this

Post by vivalamom »

My mom has a bird that screams and its LOUD she mimics the smoke alarm! She does it REAL bad when she wants held. What we do is ignore it. We dont say her name don't walk up to her cage NOTHING until she has stopped. I would suggest ignoring it pout a blanket over him at night and before you do tell him night night he will calm down and he may still scream and throw a fit BUT he right now he knows if he does that you will come. I know its hard but I'd ignore it he will stop
jessie74

Post by jessie74 »

Hi There,
I have a 3 year old IRN called Jessie! My Jessie also did the same thing as a baby, i have had him since he was 10 days old, i raised him. You need to get your baby out of that habbit, otherwise he will expect to sleep in the bed with you every night!!!
How i got jessie out of that, when he too was a baby; i got him attached to a favourite toy, and put the toy on his perch( or in his cage)- where ever your bird sleeps?, so he learnt to use his toy as security at night, instead of me!!! I still had him in my room beside my bed, so he can see me still, eventually he learnt " the bedtime routine" !!!
Jessie, now at 3 years old, still sleeps on his perch beside my bed!!!... but he never tries to come in my bed anymore....
Although, we do have a routine, every morning at 6am , 5am in summer, he lets out a little squawk, which means its our cuddle time, and he sits under the covers, between the bossoms!!!LOL for half hour till i get up.
He has got this routine down packed!!! he is also my alarm clock, and i enjoy the cuddle time with him....
Your baby just wants warmth and security, as his mother gave him....but to your bird...YOU are his mother!!!
Hope this helps
jo and jessie
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

I am hand raising 5 chicks, they all love to snuggle down there lol sorry i laughed. :oops: in all seriousness, i would ignore it, it will be hard, and it might take some time but over time he should get the idea. :wink:
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
julie

Post by julie »

Ha ha I have a boobie bird too. I would ignore the behaviour and just go to bed.Make sure its dark where he is so he knows its bed time.
melindaott

Post by melindaott »

We had a problem with my IRN. Since he was a baby (he is 18 years old now...), he also wanted attention late afternoon/sunset, so we made a cover for his cage. Once you start closing him at sunset, he will get used to it.
My IRN now starts screaming late afternoon/sunset until we close him and then he becomes quiet. As soon as he hears movement in the house the next moning he screams again to be opened up...
It's going to take a while and a lot of patience, but they get there eventually.
:D