MY BABY HATES MY ACRYLIC NAILS

Moderator: Mods

Sunny_girl

MY BABY HATES MY ACRYLIC NAILS

Post by Sunny_girl »

My 7 month old IRN, Sunny, was such a beautiful, cuddly girl (we call her a girl although we're not sure yet) until I got acrylic (fake) nails 3 weeks ago. At first she would try to attack my fingers, even lunging at them which she has not ever done before (I don't think she has ever gone through the 'bluffing' stage that everyone talks about either) and when I pick her up lately, she looks down at my nails and makes this intimidating 'waaahh' sound. She has become better over the weeks, I started only picking her up to have a shower, give her food or other things she considered 'fun' which seemed to help and I can pick her up now for a cuddle as long as she is not confronted with my nails (i.e- I cuddle her from the back).

I googled this topic and other types of parrots have issues with acrylic nails too but everyone said that their parrot was 'over it' in a few days...

Has anyone else had to deal with this issue? I know that IRNs are smart, why do you think it has taken my baby so long to adjust to this change?

Thanks, Sunny_girl
-----+-<@
SCB -SA

Re: MY BABY HATES MY ACRYLIC NAILS

Post by SCB -SA »

your not alone!!! Mine! ALL of them! Hate my nails, i have always been a nail biter until a few months ago, and when i had tips put on they would go beserk! And now, they even try and pull my real nails off! And mine have not gotten over it...

my one female will run away from me until i offer her my arm to step up onto, and not my hands...

They still havent gotten over it, and absolutey hate it, so i just let them sit by me, or pick at the nails till they settle down for a love with me...
Amy:)

Post by Amy:) »

My girl custard does the same thing. I bring her to work with me at a pet store where she gets hundreds of cuddles off heaps of dif people and every person with nail polish or anything like that she freaks out bites their nails and pins her eyes, or just runs away. I thought she was being odd but it seems that it's quite common after reading these posts
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

:D I dont get my nails done but my sister often wears polish.. my male has always hated certain colours on her nails :lol: maybe its your colour choice?
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
Sunny_girl

Post by Sunny_girl »

It's good to know that there are others out there that hate fake nails (and polish by the sound of it). Just letting you know of a new development... Sunny loves me again! :D I got my nails done again (I know, I know... poor Sunny) but this time she doesn't mind at all! They're the same tips but this time I got more of a natural, clear colour over the top with a little bit of glitter in it. Last time I had a glittery pinkish colour...

Maybe she just didn't like the colour, or maybe she's just used to them now... Maybe next time I'll get the first colour and see what happens :)