Blueberrybird Moved Topic

Moderator: Mods

ringneck
Site Admin

Blueberrybird Moved Topic

Post by ringneck »

Day 5 and my 3 month old still will not come out of his cage. He will take treats from my hand, but is nippy, I try not to respond, it's hard when you've never been bitten by a bird, his cage is not in a central location, due to a/c vents and lack of windows in central areas. How long should I allow him to isolate himself in his cage before I try something else? Every day when I get home from work, I set a chair next to his cage for 2 hours open cage doors and talk to him. Have perches outside of doors, and tried setting treats at the door, am I just trying to go too fast? He won't even come to the bottom of his cage.
ringneck
Site Admin

Re: Blueberrybird Moved Topic

Post by ringneck »

Okay, i moved your topic here so we have a nice new fresh thread:)

First things first, i believe you said your bird was about 3 months old on facebook--correct? If it's that young, dive in and just start holding him/her. I would usually tell you to try positive reinforcement; however, he is young enough to just be held. Can you tell me more information about how the breeder kept him--Was he kept alone? Was he kept inside an aviary with other birds? What the bird hand fed? Stuff like that.

If he was hand fed, start taking him out and interacting w/ him. I know he bites, but this will stop i promise:) i have 3 very wonderful ringnecks 2 females and 1 male that don't bite anymore :mrgreen:

Best Wishes,

IMRAN-C
sahil987

Post by sahil987 »

This is exactly the thread I was looking for. I have a Blue IRN, very scared. No idea how old it is, the breeder told me it is 7 months old, can anyone confirm? Also, can anyone tell me whether its a male or a female? Steps up on to a perch pretty easily but is very scared of hands. Doesnt bite, runs away instead(Literally runs cause its wings are clipped). I keep him/her on top of the cage. Please advice, Thanks!
Sahil. :)

Also attached, a pic of my 9 month old completely tame alexandrine :D

Azure

Post by Azure »

Woah! that looks like a BLUE alexandrine parrot... the first time i saw one!
at such an age, it would be hard to tell the gender of your IRN, best course of action is DNA testing
dont know how to answer anything else...
Azure
Just a "bookworm" (or rather an internetworm?) who has no ringneck(s) but REALLY wants a cobalt or violet
sahil987

Post by sahil987 »

Its a Blue Indian Ringneck, need advice to tame it :(
Blueberrybird

Post by Blueberrybird »

Thank you, thank you! The breeder had him in a cage with the other babies, he was hand fed, after I paid for him and the DNA test, and he was weAned to seed, she sent him and one sibling to the "trainers" for a week, while we waited for the DNA results. The "trainer" was there when I picked up the bird, and told me he would go to my shoulder but not step up yet.he was doing a force cuddling thing, when I got the bird home, of course he was very scared, I removed him from the traveling cage and he promptly latched beak to finger, I'm embarrassed to say,at that point I was as scared as him. So now he's been in his cage, I come home from work, open the cage and sit near it, talking and offering yum yum's. So you think he's young enough I can remove him from his cage to take him to a neutral place daily? I want him to learn he can come out, be safe& have fun.thanks for your help.
Blueberrybird

Post by Blueberrybird »

Ok. So today after work, I'm jumping in with both feet, yes, I'm braving the beak!! I will update, thanks so much Imran, I've been feeling so guilty,thinking I wasn't doing everything possible to ensure him becoming part of the family and not just a lonely bird in a cage.
sahil987

Post by sahil987 »

sahil987 wrote:This is exactly the thread I was looking for. I have a Blue IRN, very scared. No idea how old it is, the breeder told me it is 7 months old, can anyone confirm? Also, can anyone tell me whether its a male or a female? Steps up on to a perch pretty easily but is very scared of hands. Doesnt bite, runs away instead(Literally runs cause its wings are clipped). I keep him/her on top of the cage. Please advice, Thanks!
Sahil. :)

Also attached, a pic of my 9 month old completely tame alexandrine :D

Can someone help me too!? :(
Blueberrybird

Post by Blueberrybird »

Imran, thank you so much, I had such success today, got him out, to another room, freaked him out a little at first, I'm glad his wings are clipped, I even got him to step up a couple of times, he flew right off, but he did it without biting. He did bite while I was picking him up, but he gave up fairly quickly. I could tell he was VERY pleased to be out of his cage, this forum is such a blessing to both bird and owner, because of your advise I got the guts to go for it, and what a wonderful first step for both of us. I'm smiling so big right now!!
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

Woot! Woot! It's only gunna get better too! Believe me:) I know you guys are gunna have 20 something years of pure fun! I tried replying of facebook but i could not..darn thing has so many bugs! :) Just keep taking him out daily. The first year is so crucial in their developmental period. :wink: :wink: Please keep me updated! okay? :D

You bud,

IMRAN-C
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

Hey Sahil,

My apologies! I have been so busy launching my new projects! :wink:

I can't judge your ringneck by the photos because they are so small--if you upload larger ones i might be able to tell. As of right now, you said your ringneck will not bite...so continue holding him. Was he hand fed? What did the breeder tell you when you got him? If he is seven months old and not aggressive take him into a quiet room and talk to him and work on stepping up. :mrgreen:

Hope this helps my friend!

Best Wishes,

IMRAN-C
sahil987

Post by sahil987 »

ringneck wrote:Hey Sahil,

My apologies! I have been so busy launching my new projects! :wink:

I can't judge your ringneck by the photos because they are so small--if you upload larger ones i might be able to tell. As of right now, you said your ringneck will not bite...so continue holding him. Was he hand fed? What did the breeder tell you when you got him? If he is seven months old and not aggressive take him into a quiet room and talk to him and work on stepping up. :mrgreen:

Hope this helps my friend!

Best Wishes,

IMRAN-C

The ringneck doesnt bite in defense, but if i grab him then he does. He has never been handfed, I got his wings clipped recently..
He is VERY scared of hands. How exactly should i go about this? :) Thank you soo much! :)
Azure

Post by Azure »

sahil987 wrote: Image
I mean this looks like a blue alex... it got the shoulder patch!
Azure
Just a "bookworm" (or rather an internetworm?) who has no ringneck(s) but REALLY wants a cobalt or violet
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

Okay, thanks for answering the questions sahil987 8) .

I think the best remedy would be trying positive reinforcement in your case. Your parrot has not had the chance to adjust to humans and now it’s going to be your job to show the parrot that you are there to be his friend.

I would stop trying to hold him right now and try coaxing him to step onto your hand with food. The bird probably sees you as something scary per your last interactions with him and his perception of the world. Using food is a great way to win his heart over. I want you to read this section on positive reinforcement I wrote for an African Ringneck owner—check it out, ok? I think it will be of great help to you my friend :wink: .

http://www.indianringneck.com/forum/vie ... 17&t=12990

Best Wishes :wink: ,

IMRAN-C
sahil987

Post by sahil987 »

Azure wrote:

Oh, thats a normal green alex :P
sahil987

Post by sahil987 »

ringneck wrote:Okay, thanks for answering the questions sahil987 8) .

I think the best remedy would be trying positive reinforcement in your case. Your parrot has not had the chance to adjust to humans and now it’s going to be your job to show the parrot that you are there to be his friend.

I would stop trying to hold him right now and try coaxing him to step onto your hand with food. The bird probably sees you as something scary per your last interactions with him and his perception of the world. Using food is a great way to win his heart over. I want you to read this section on positive reinforcement I wrote for an African Ringneck owner—check it out, ok? I think it will be of great help to you my friend :wink: .

http://www.indianringneck.com/forum/vie ... 17&t=12990

Best Wishes :wink: ,

IMRAN-C

Thank you so much for the advice! :) I'll surely do it after he starts taking treats from me..
One thing I'd like to say is that I found 'forced cuddling' to be VERY VERY helpful. The bird that today morning was hiding under branches when anyone got withing 3 feet of his cage is now eating in front of us, is very relaxed and does not mind me grabbing him and getting him to step up :O Of course, there is the occasional nibble if I don't let him down soon. Still, AWESOME progress for force cuddling him twice today for 5 minutes each time! :lol:
julie

Post by julie »

Azure wrote:
click on the pic its a normal green.
Azure

Post by Azure »

oh dear :oops:
Azure
Blueberrybird

Post by Blueberrybird »

O.k so Barry Bird is now coming out of his cage to the top, on his own, for a couple of hours a day, I have just now tried to offer my arm for him to step up, with a treat in the other hand, ( I thought the arm might be less scary) and he really bit me hard! And it DID hurt!! :(
Blueberrybird

Post by Blueberrybird »

Barry is just attacking the target stick and latching on to it with his beak. Is that what they usually do?
Blueberrybird

Post by Blueberrybird »

Update on blueBarry, he comes to the top of his cage after work every day, does some target training, gets very excited when I put his toys up there, chases the ball slings it around, throws it off the cage and squeakes at me to pick it up. He's so cute and lovable I can barely stand it! He is skittish of my hands, but will let me carry him from the cage to another room without biting too hard. He still won't step up from the cage or the bird stand, but he will from the floor, so we work from there for now, he will sit in my lap, doesn't like to be petted too much, but I still sneak them in occasionally heehee! I love him!! :) :)
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

Wow, you are making such progress! I'm so proud of you as you are incorporating so many wonderful techniques while he is young. These are the most crucial years in his life and it seems you are both off to a wonderful start. :P

I think the reason why my parrots are so wonderful is because I was fortunate enough to get them when they were very young. In their first year, they all learned about their environment and the people around them. I always made the effort to socialize them as much as I could as I exposed them to as many new things too.

I know at times, I come off as a bit eccentric when dealing with my parrots but it's well worth it in the long run. I highly enjoy talking to them, taking them to new places, and just interacting with them. I know people sometimes look at me with such an odd face cause I know they just don’t understand.

Keep working on those positive reinforcement techniques and just dive in and hold him. He's still young enough and impressionable at this age. I'm so happy for you and I can't wait to see your progress and updates.

Wishing you the best :wink: ,

IMRAN-C

P.S. I loved the photos you posted on him on facebook! I tried to reply but could not due to your account settings :wink:
Blueberrybird

Post by Blueberrybird »

I have several questions that may seem silly, but I need to know, how do inside birds get mites, where do they come from? Can humans get them? I have a spray that directs to spray directly on bird and cage twice a week. Is that necessary? I feel kinda bad spraying it on him, he gets a shower weekly. Can you see the mites?