Newbie behaviour and neck stretching??

Moderator: Mods

phildez

Newbie behaviour and neck stretching??

Post by phildez »

Hi there, im new to this site and also new to IRN's.

Have a few questions about behaviour/neck stretching......

Firstly, I brought Lupê my 4month old blue male back home saturday and was surprised at how quiet he was for a 4hr motorway drive. In general he stays in the center of the highest perch with alot of beak grinding during the day and just before bedtime which i am to believe is a good thing, but more each day, and particularly just before & after eating he has a mad 10 minutes of attempted 'breaking-out' where he desperately tries to escape. He'll then get back in the centre of the perch and outstretch his neck fully and upwards and hold position for a moment, sometimes he just stretches his neck to the side (depending on where Im positioned).

Nothing else with his behaviour worries me as he eats infront of me and is becoming more trusting with proximity of my had to him (from outside the cage). Just want to know really what the neck stretching is about?!

FYI - He came from an aviarian breeder (and I fully understand the challenge ahead).

Thanks for reading - Phil !

Also I tried to UL a photo but file was too big - anyone know a way around this?
phildez

Re: Newbie behaviour and neck stretching??

Post by phildez »

Thanks Ariahna

I haven't yet managed to photo it but you could basically say its the mating pose without the pouted wings but with the neck stretched upward and forward....im pretty soon i'll know the answer shortly!

anyway thanks for your reply much appreciated!!

btw pj's a great looking bird u must be proud!
Azure

Post by Azure »

oh just to say... i think he's trying to regurgitate his food for the toys... its a sign of affection for the toys as usually the male regurgitates for the female during breeding season to show affection and feed her, and it also happens vice versa (female feeds male)

that most likely to be the case- correct me if im wrong
:D
Azure
Just a "bookworm" (or rather an internetworm?) who has no ringneck(s) but REALLY wants a cobalt or violet
phildez

Post by phildez »

Thanks for the post Azure...although not sure as haven't got any toys in his cage?! You could be onto something about it being affectionate although he only does it after a 'frantic' moment. Eitherway he displays all other positive signs so not too worried and hopefully I'll find out soon!!

Appreciate the posts, the more we know - the better, hey!
Azure

Post by Azure »

oops :shock: i haven't been able to look at videos recently again as i think we hit the download limit again (damn it!) may be he is praticing? or just having some fun? it doesnt sound too bad...
Azure
Just a "bookworm" (or rather an internetworm?) who has no ringneck(s) but REALLY wants a cobalt or violet