What's wrong with my bird?

Moderator: Mods

lolo99

What's wrong with my bird?

Post by lolo99 »

ok so I have a female IRN..... She is perfectly fine but she is very possessive .. the main problem is that when anyone tries to pat her.. her pupils will decrease and she will open her beak ready for a pek!
We don't know wat to do!!! any suggestion?? :shock:
mkurtak

Re: What's wrong with my bird?

Post by mkurtak »

Try to play somehow with her.
Get your arm close but not too close that she can bite.
I had similar problems , too.
But mine now have 1 year and 2 months and i solve that problem.
How old is yours?
Azure

Post by Azure »

the pupil thing is called pinning...
but dont be discouraged to keep human contact with her...

but the behaviour is NORMAL... just that you are not that intermate with her =)
Last edited by Azure on Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Azure
Just a "bookworm" (or rather an internetworm?) who has no ringneck(s) but REALLY wants a cobalt or violet
lolo99

Post by lolo99 »

@mkurk We play with her lots and also she is about 8months...

When we talk to her....she lovves it soooo much and feels wanted but ever since we lost our bird (lorikeet) Coco, she has been depressed and has lost her tail feathers...which arent growing bck :(
lolo99

Post by lolo99 »

Ariahna wrote: Thanks you for your kind information...I will try to bond with her more and try to communicate with her as much as possible..

THX!

The most important thing to do is learn how to read your bird's signals. They can't tell you to back off, or that they are scared so they try to communicate by body language. You wouldn't keep moving your hand toward a dog that was growling at you and showing it's teeth, and you shouldn't keep moving toward a bird that is pinning it's eyes and opening it's beak. She's telling you that she's uncomfortable the best way she can.

Here are a couple of great articles that I found very useful as a new bird owner.

Article on bird body language: http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/r ... guage.html
Article on touching companion birds: http://www.rationalparrot.com/tease.html

Once your IRN trusts you and you have a good bond with each other, she will probably come to you and initiate contact and/or affection. Mine does that by hopping onto my shoulder and getting as close to me as he can. He will preen himself on my shoulder and when I lean my face toward him, he might kiss my cheek or press his beak against my cheek. He sometimes also makes cute little sounds and I know he is telling me how much he likes me in his own way.

My bird likes it when I rub the back of his neck with my chin. They sometimes like to be touched, just not with your fingers so you may have to find out gradually how your bird will accept touch. Just take your time and of course, watch her body language. :)
lolo99

Post by lolo99 »

Azure wrote:the pupil thing is called pinning...
but dont be discouraged to keep human contact with her...

but the behaviour is NORMAL... just that you are not that intermate with her =)

Thanks to you too....i will keep that in mind :mrgreen: