New 14 month ringneck

Moderator: Mods

stv217

New 14 month ringneck

Post by stv217 »

Hey everyone, I just brought home Ace yesterday and he's been a blast. I raised a ringneck as a child and am excited to have one as an adult.

Ace has been, by far, the most calm bird I have ever had. Immediately upon coming home he was exploring outside his cage and accepting petting from strangers. I have a couple of things I'm trying to work on though.

For starters, he's a nibbler. His first reaction to anything new is to nibble on it, which is fine, except he nibbles on people too. It's definitely a curiosity thing, but I'm trying to encourage him to not nibble on people, especially their ears.

Secondly, he's barely made a peep at all. I've never had a bird this quiet. I know it's not because he's afraid of his new home, he's already taken to ringing a toy bell to ask for food and bobbing his head to get picked up. I should be happy for such a quiet bird I suppose, but is it normal for birds to be that quiet? My previous ringneck would chirp and whistle all the time, and I had to train it not to scream for attention.
ringneck
Site Admin

Re: New 14 month ringneck

Post by ringneck »

Hello,

Congrats on your new ringneck my friend :O). It’s good that you don’t encourage nibbling as it can lead to biting. Should your parrot start to bite--ignore it. No need to say anything. Just move your hand back and continue working with him like nothing ever happened.

Also, once the ringneck settles in, he’ll start to make more noise. Believe me, enjoy the silence now as once he really matures he’ll vocally become louder. So, I would say everything is right on track.

Best Wishes my friend :wink: ,

IMRAN-C