Talking ability?

Moderator: Mods

TracyTickles

Talking ability?

Post by TracyTickles »

When do IRN's begin to talk or mimic sounds? My new baby, Tiki, is only 4 months old and I repeat sounds over and over again. Like when I give him a peanut, I say the word peanut. I just name everything he touches.

Thanks for the help in advance :D
brunofam5141

Re: Talking ability?

Post by brunofam5141 »

we got our ringneck when he was about 3 months old...we got him in june and i'd say he probably started "talking" around halloween or so. just keep it up! =))
brunofam5141

Post by brunofam5141 »

oh and maybe stick with one phrase at a time. like if you want him to say peanut. keep repeating peanut and then when he learns peanut, move onto another word or sound. just a thought!
julie

Post by julie »

some start pretty early and some dont talk at all. I hand raised some that started copying sound at 4 months and started to talk in front of people at around six months now at nine months the one i kept will repeat his and my alexs name when i say it,he says some things that we dont understand yet too.
Maniiacy

Post by Maniiacy »

One of mine is starting to talk (mumbling "hello"'s) at almost 8 months old.
jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

my lil guy is now seven months old and hasnt really started talking apart from an occasional dog whistle. but we havent been too vigilant in teaching him words - theres about 5 or 6 words/phrases we always use, but then also we just chat with him aswell.
Ive heard of other people with ringnecks that talk, one started at about 8 months, another one and a half years or so.
one thing you could try, my mum used to do this with our budgies when i was a kid, dont know how well it works for ringnecks, but is record a phrase and loop it for 10 mins and just play that to them, so they hear it repeatedly (good to chuck on when youre hanging out the washing, or popping out for milk or something - so you dont have to hear your own voice!). i dont know about voice training, but i know with new trick training about 10-15 mins is a good time so they dont get too mentally exhausted and i think applying the same principle is safe.