so how did you train your irn to be a good parrot..

Moderator: Mods

adreane

so how did you train your irn to be a good parrot..

Post by adreane »

I was just curious on how many of you had your irn since it was young and what you did to make them good parrots. I am really working with mine and I know every bird is different but I was hoping to give her the best chance at being friendly with everyone and to not be a screamer or a biter. I want to raise her the right way while she is young so she doesn't develope bad habits. So my question is what is your irns behavior like (good and bad) and why do you think they are like that? Is there anything you would have done differently that you think may have changed the way it is today? What are your most important traing tips and advice you think made the biggest difference? I would love to hear about everyones experience.

Adreane
taywer321

Re: so how did you train your irn to be a good parrot..

Post by taywer321 »

This is old but I feel the need to respond anyway, :)
I would say that adopting a hand raised baby gives you a good chance at raising a friendly ringneck, since they are used to being handled, touched, and always see hands from the very young age. I brought mine home at 2.5 months old and have worked with him every single day since then, and he is now 6 months old. He is becoming more confident and friendly every day. They must be worked with on a consistent basis, and they must trust you which takes time. They have to learn to not be frightened of you, therefore do everything you can to show them how unscary you really are. Share your meals with him, shower with him, watch tv with him close by, and play games with him. Target training seems to be very very fun for my bird, and I always feel closer to him afterward. Also, talk to him all the time! I talk to mine as if he can understand everything I say, and even though he can't, he always seems interested in what I'm saying to him :) Hope that helps!