Plucking?

Moderator: Mods

j.bizzle

Plucking?

Post by j.bizzle »

hey guys, I recently went overseas for a month and when i got back my IRN had plucked some neck feathers out. When it starts looking better, by the time im home from work or uni, he's plucked them again. we've sprayed him and his perches with mite spray to rule that out. How can i stop him doing this if i cant see him doing it??
j.bizzle

Re: Plucking?

Post by j.bizzle »

a help me bump....
Azure

Post by Azure »

i have heard of some people creating a sock vest for their IRN plucking... at first the birds will try to eat it so you must supervise it (like give 30min periods with it on whilst you are watching), then when the bird is used to it you can leave it on... this can prevent pucking but i dont like it as what is the point of a bird with beautiful feathers if it does not get to show them off? if the vest is removed, how long will it be before it starts plucking? just my opinion and a small tip i guess.... hope it helped
Azure
Just a "bookworm" (or rather an internetworm?) who has no ringneck(s) but REALLY wants a cobalt or violet
brunofam5141

Post by brunofam5141 »

my little guy started doing this recently. but i think our situation is different -- he's a year and a half and going through a molt...we think he gets itchy or is just plain irritated by the new feathers.

anyway, get some foraging toys and stuff them with all its favorite treats. that keeps ours occupied for quite a while...he'll be too interested in getting out the goodies than his feathers [at least that's the idea] good luck!