weird sexual behaviour

Moderator: Mods

abedkh

weird sexual behaviour

Post by abedkh »

Hey guys! I have a lovely irn male named Grumpy, i posted on here a couple of times and received great help, i would love to help others as my experience with raising birds increases with time.

There's no easy way of explaining this, ill give it my best shot.

My bird walks around freely at home, every time he finds a rolled up tissue ball, he takes it, goes to a secure location like under a chair or something, and he starts performing sexual acts on it for about 3 minutes, then after that he spits on it and does a weird funny dance, its all very hilarious but I get worried sometimes. When i saw this behavior, i just thought that he needed a mate, so i went to my local pet shop and bought an irn of opposite sex ofcourse.

He hates her, he bites her, and just can't get along with her even after a month, so i had to seperate them and get 2 cages so no one will get hurt at night or something.

Even after he knows that a mate for him now exists, he still takes the tissue balls and performs sexual acts followed by spitting and a funny dance where he moves his head right and left. I can post a video on youtube and show you guys! But i guess my explanation has been very straight forward.

So i started throwing out all the tissues right after i use them.

Thanks for your help guys!
bec

Re: weird sexual behaviour

Post by bec »

ok first this is normal some of the thingsd ive heard of (and seen )
male birds "mating " with
i beleive laurens gibby does this with a bell
my riku used to mate with a toy bird
and my scaley breasted lorikeet is "in love" with a purple sock with a knot tied in the middle
the sitting is him "feeding his mate"
as for introducing the female ... how old is grumpy ?
and how old is the girl
they may be too young to mate
or it could be just not breeding season where you are
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

:lol: Sorry I only just saw this. This is all perfectly normal. Yes, My male had a toy bell for 6 years before he fell in love with my female. There is a video on here of him somewhere haha. Atleast your male likes his privacy. My male would do it anywhere, anytime, including infront of guests! :oops: He did everything with that bell. He'd sleep with it on his head like a hat. haha. I got him a 'friend' unknowing the baby I took home would end up being a female. My Jibby lost interest in his bell soon after.
My 2 started mating about when my female reached sexual maturity. Perhaps your female is too young or like bec said not breeding season in your area? The spitting, is regurgitation. This is how birds feed their chicks and partners on on the nest. It is how they show affection to their mate by feeding them. Showing hes a good provider. Only I dont think the tissues really care haha. :D
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
abedkh

Post by abedkh »

hey guys! Sorry for taking such a long time to reply, been so busy lately. I appreciate everyone trying to help! You guys have some very funny stories too, a bell? lol. Grumpy is a male, when i first got him, i used to think he was a female, then someone on the forums told me that a ring represents a male, and a very light faded ring represents a female. Grumpy just recently quit the regurgitation on a tissue. As Lauren said, he probably noticed a tissue wasn't great response lol. The sexual behavior has decreased greatly, weird :S Its weird because he still refuses to even get in the same cage with his female partner. They been in 2 separate cages for about 2 months now, and they still don't get along. Time will tell! Lets just hope i get junior grumpies one day!