I'm new to Indian Ringnecks,is this normal behavior?

Moderator: Mods

Jessica M

I'm new to Indian Ringnecks,is this normal behavior?

Post by Jessica M »

I just got a 2 year old female Indian Ringneck parakeet,she is quiet for the most part during the day but when the sun starts going down she starts squeaking.Then when the sun is fully set she starts making a "car alarm" sound well that's what i call it its her loudest call.Does anyone else's Ringneck do this? i know birds need 10 - 12 hours of sleep each night but at night she starts squeaking and it takes a couple hours for her to settle down,i got her two days ago so it could be that she's knew and also she doesn't have a nesting box or fuzzy bird hut.I just ordered a hut for her i took her in fro a couple who was moving she wasn't messed with much tho i haven't taken her out of the cage yet,when i went to get her she would not step up onto my hand she would fly away.Do you think when her hut arrives this will stop? or is it that she's just knew it could be both? on and another question i have a Parrotlet also in the future how can i safely introduce them?

Oh and also she seems to be addicted to sunflower seeds and i know their not that good for them,im slowly trying to switch her over to another seed,i can't starve her but she wants the sunflower seeds,i fed her some fruit today she has never ate fruit before,and the texture is weird for her.
Maniiacy

Re: I'm new to Indian Ringnecks,is this normal behavior?

Post by Maniiacy »

I'm pretty sure it is normal :) Mine do this the second the sun is up (yay me :P) and as it is going down.
julie

Post by julie »

was the person you got her from a shift worker by any chance? My alex was doing alarm clock noises as soon as the lights turned on in the mornings and then the smoke alarm beeps (battery running out).This got old very quick and the alarm clock disappeared and i now use my ph for the alarm.
Jessica M

Post by Jessica M »

lol actually yes,he was a shift worker,how did you know?
julie

Post by julie »

:lol: im a shift worker,i go to work as it gets dark. Id say the alarm noises are an alarm clock or similar that your bird has associated with the sun going down.