My ringneck strikes when i put my fingers close help please!

Moderator: Mods

Kiwi.k

My ringneck strikes when i put my fingers close help please!

Post by Kiwi.k »

hello i have a 7 week old ringneck hes been brilliant so far but recently has been striking when i put my hand in his box where we keep him hes started to learn how to eat on his own also ive been feeding him all different kinds of fruit mixed with seeds and pellets and he LOVES it. i was also wondering when they learn how to fly as hes been flapping around lately.
thanks
misty

Re: My ringneck strikes when i put my fingers close help ple

Post by misty »

Hi Kiwi.k
He will probably take he’s first flight soon.Whatch him so he does not hurt himself.
As for the striking out at you that sounds like bluffing. What ever you do do not pull your hand away when he does this or this could encourage him to continue and possibly get worse. He is getting in to what you might call the toddler stage lol.
Good luck hope this helps.
Azure

Post by Azure »

wouldnt bluffing be more... teenage rebel?
Azure
Just a "bookworm" (or rather an internetworm?) who has no ringneck(s) but REALLY wants a cobalt or violet
PeterHoward

Post by PeterHoward »

One thing I've noticed is that my girl reacts far more favourably to a presented forearm to step up on than finger. And it hurts less if she actually bites :)
julie

Post by julie »

try talking to him/her before you go to grab from box. maybe have a treat to show him too. when my handraised bub that i kept starts doing this i put my index finger and thumb up and say no,if he lunges i gently push his beak away with my finger and say no.it only took him a couple of times to work out what no means. he is almost one now and still occassionally tries it but we just ignore it and do what we wanted to do. now when he is doing something naughty like stealing puzzle peices and we tell him no he immediately drops his stash and moves away from it. it has actually turned into a game for the little terror though.