Baby and IRN

Moderator: Mods

tmg2011

Baby and IRN

Post by tmg2011 »

Hi there
I need some help. Our IRN is about 2-3 years old. We also have a few other pet and he has fitted in nicely. We also have a 9 month old baby. The IRN seemed to adjust fine with us brining a new baby home and nothing seemed out of pattern. However, he seems to be very loud during sleep/ nap time. He always seems to wake the baby with a high pitch scream for attention. He is out of the cage every morning, has heaps and heaps of toys, has fruit etc to nibble on during the day and still gets attention. Im looking for some suggestions on how I can stop him screaming out during the day. I feel that if I take him out of the cage he is just going to figure out that screaming lets him get want he wants.
dog_glenn123

Re: Baby and IRN

Post by dog_glenn123 »

I would start by covering him up at the sleep time of the baby,
Or move the cage outside if possible at the time of the sleep.

Just ideas.

Thanks Glenn

PS i know what its like when all you want is the bubs to sleep so you can have your own time.
As well as the bubs getting sleep.
From a father of a 3 year old and a 3 month old. :roll:
Lauren
Site Admin

Re: Baby and IRN

Post by Lauren »

I can empathize a little , I have a 15 month old and 2 very loud IRNs indoors. My 2 dont really like my daughter all that much but are just afraid of her when shes close. Although, shes a good sleeper and has never really been bothered by them when napping, she does not like when they are loud and shes close by, it frightens her.. most of the time she just wants to play with them but my 2 are now breeders and not so tame, they can get unrulely at times with the noise (mine used to be my pets until they started breeding).. My daughter got to play with their chicks last year and loves birds just not when they are loud. Its hard to keep the peace at times especially with how loud they can be. Perhaps give your IRN something new and exciting to occupy him in the cage when baby is napping so he can learn that its quiet time? Usually my 2 will sit quietly and devour one of those seed stick treats which is a rare treat for them. If all else fails and I can get them in their cages, I cover the cages so they have a nap too. Although my 2 are out of the cage the majority of the day and not clipped getting them in their cage is not always easy unless its bedtime when they know thats where they sleep. Also sounds silly but if you have a gap under babys door, sometimes those door draft stoppers can make a big difference to sound proofing rooms. Is babys room close to where your IRN is? If you can, is there anywhere else you can move your IRN further away from babys room? hope something works for you and baby. Baby might also get used to eliminating the noise over time.. but for now I hope you can find something.
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year