Molting or Plucking?? :(

Moderator: Mods

yoshi

Molting or Plucking?? :(

Post by yoshi »

Yoshi just turned one year old 2 days ago! And recently he has been losing feathers. A few here and there from his tail and I swept up his cage today and found little green feathers... Usually all that is found is his little fluffs of down. I'm a LOT worried right now. I read online that they go through molts around 1 year. He has a bunch of toys in his cage, he is on a pellet diet and he gets fresh veggies and fruits daily. We have him out when we are home because we are gone at classes most of the day.

Any advice is great! I'm very worried about my little Yoshi!
jimmyjack

Re: Molting or Plucking?? :(

Post by jimmyjack »

oh wow i dont mean to condemn that comment molosses but it definately wouldnt have eased my concern!

yoshi, it really doesnt sound like plucking - i had a similar concern when iggy seemed to have more feathers on the bottom of her cage than on her! the big tail feathers, wing feathers, the lot were all dropping off. salvador (nearly 6 months) is currently going through a smaller moult at the moment (im in syndey, australia if the climate conditions are a point of interest). if he is moulting, he'll generally look fairly tatty all over as if nobody owns them.

feather plucking is generally restricted to the chest and neck, and yoshi seems a bit young to be going through such an ordeal - not sexually mature, well kept, low stress... are you finding bare patches of skin starting to appear or just feathers around the cage?

the disease issue MAY be a cause for concern, but dont be the over-reactive, over-concerned parents that most of us are...normally just leads to more stress on yourself haha :lol: