Do males display like females sometimes?

Moderator: Mods

yoshi

Do males display like females sometimes?

Post by yoshi »

Yoshi is 11 months old. We were TOLD* he is a male. But we don't know because we haven't officially sexed him. But, he started displaying like a male does, dancing at his perches, like standing up really tall with his wings in a heart and dancing AT things like his perches, toys, etc.

But he is 11 months now and he sometimes will tuck his head back and cluck like the female ringneck. He still displays like a male by dancing at his perches sometimes. But I will put him on the top of his cage and he will put his head back and cluck like my female ringneck at my mom's house does.

Does this mean he is a female?

Any advice would be great. He is still very young.
Shane7285

Re: Do males display like females sometimes?

Post by Shane7285 »

Hi

yes it is possible for younger IRN's to display both behaviours of male and female. Who told you he was a male, and how did they know?

It would drive me insane not knowing for 2 years whether I had a male or female.

Regards

Shane
yoshi

Post by yoshi »

Shane7285 wrote:Hi

yes it is possible for younger IRN's to display both behaviours of male and female. Who told you he was a male, and how did they know?

It would drive me insane not knowing for 2 years whether I had a male or female.

Regards

Shane

Oh believe me! It's driving me insane! lol But I looked online for the sexing kits and I really don't want to pluck some of his feathers... I just don't. I know that it "doesn't really hurt" but I just don't want to put him through that.

We got him from a breeder in Southern Florida when he was only 5 weeks old, we weaned him ourselves, etc. The guy has been sexing ringnecks by just looking at them for like 40 some years. He "guaranteed" us that he is a male, says so on our little receipt/contract. He said he's right "90% of the time" and if he is a female he said we could bring him back... OBVIOUSLY that is NOT going to happen. I am very attached to Yoshi and would never give him up. BUT. I have had a male in the past and I really loved having a male in comparison to the female I have at my mother's house.

So, obviously, I don't 100% believe the breeder. But I know that Yoshi is smaller than my female, he has smaller feet, his head is flat.. And he was displaying like a male ringneck at like 5 months.. And he JUST recently started displaying like a female... On here IMRAN said that males start displaying early, whereas females do not. So... I don't know.

I just wanted to make sure it was POSSIBLE for males to display like both male and female so there is still a small ray of hope!! :P And his next vet visit isn't until December because he just went last December... So doing sexing that way is out.
jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

ive been told by two irn breeders and my vet that "reading the signs" to determine the sex is as good as flipping a coin - you really cannot tell.

im currently looking into dna testing, and not too keen on the feather plucking either. there are blood test kits they can send out, and apparantly you very easily and painlessly take a small blood sample just above the toenail/talon (depending on the length :lol: ). i think im going to go down this road
bec

Post by bec »

i thought skeet was a girl for the first year as he assumed the female mating position every time i scratched his neck but skeet has a beautiful ring now
yoshi

Post by yoshi »

Both of those posts are very encouraging for me to hear then!!! haha. There is still hope for him being a HIM! :P But like I said, even if he is a she, I will love (her) just as I love him now.. hahahaha. But thanks so much for all of these replies! I love having a website where I can get such wonderful encouragement and advice! :)
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

I have a definite male (has black ring) in an aviary. He had a couple of companion young IRNs in with him. I saw with my own eyes, the male crouch down and cluck like a hen while one of the 'babies' was taking on the male role and on his back. :shock: If I had not seen it with my own eyes, I would not have believed it!!
I only saw it happen once, but it still happened. :)
DeeDeeLutino

Post by DeeDeeLutino »

pinkdevil wrote:I have a definite male (has black ring) in an aviary. He had a couple of companion young IRNs in with him. I saw with my own eyes, the male crouch down and cluck like a hen while one of the 'babies' was taking on the male role and on his back. :shock: If I had not seen it with my own eyes, I would not have believed it!!
I only saw it happen once, but it still happened. :)
:shock: :mrgreen: :oops: