destructive

Moderator: Mods

kimmy

destructive

Post by kimmy »

my 2 ringnecks are really starting to get destructive now, they've wrecked my phone, their spray bottle, pulling my furniture apart :/ and now they are starting to chew all the cords in the house!!! i don't know what to do :/ i was going to wrap all the cords on the floor in blankets but thats not a good idea cause it might cause a fire :/ i don't know how to stop them from chewing my cords. i don't want them getting electrocuted :[ their even starting to chew my candles around the house lol and its not like they are bored because they have HUNDREDS of toys and they are out of their cage 24/7 they follow me everywhere and everywhere i go they find a cord and chew

do your birds chew your cords??? and how do you stop them from doing it???
pinkdevil

Re: destructive

Post by pinkdevil »

My birds will chew anything and everything they are not meant to, including cords. :?
I do not allow my birds out 24/7 so have a bit more control and supervision over them I guess. When they do look interested or chew on something that is a no-no, I try to divert their attention elsewhere or remove the item or them from the area. When my birds are out, I am usually interacting with them most of the time so they don't often get the chance to do too much damage.
kimmy

Post by kimmy »

ahhhh yes. well when i see them coming over towards the cords and other things they aren't meant to be chewing i pick them up and put them straight back into their cage. is that a good idea? lol
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Mine did chew cords but they seem to have mostly grown out of it now.... don't know why... I hope that's the same for your guys.

I bought a cheap toy holder from Ikea that I put their toys in. They seem to love hopping in there and pulling the toys out and dropping them on the floor more than walking along the ground and chewing cables.

You can see pics of it at:
http://www.indianringneck.com/forum/vie ... =3&t=11956

Good luck!

Ellie.
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

My birds have destroyed quite alot in their time. In one of the units we lived in they chewed right around the ceiling by sitting on the window curtains rods! but luckily we had water damage on the ceiling and told the real estate it was water damage.. hehe bit cheeky.. then in the next place we rented they chewed right through the venetian blinds.. had to replace the blinds that cost us over $300! the latest thing is my rabbits hutch. Ive tried everything! My birds are not interested in most toys, i think because they can chew through them quickly, they prefer a 'project' that they can nibble over months. Luckily they dont touch cords.. they are my bunnys fave! :roll:
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
kimmy

Post by kimmy »

haha i would have done the same lauren :] wow 300? screw that LOL my 2 are always on the curtain rods :/ they have chewed the **** out of the curtain but meh its shitty anyways lol. yerrrrr my 2 aren't really into much toys, yuffie loves the wooden toys i buy! takes her 30mins to destroy lol but chocobo takes no notice! they love my phone :[ as soon as they see it they go feral.

yeyuh thats a good idea ellie, they'll probably love one of those! they have a huge playstand, its a tree thing but they done even use that. fusspots they are lol
kimmy

Post by kimmy »

ellie that cage is PERFECT!! did you get it off the GTmall site? or one of those? i found that exact one for 245 but they are out of stock grrr lol
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

We bought it at a local pet store... paid an arm and a leg for it! Wish I knew I could get them elsewhere for cheaper at the time.

I'm not that happy with it though... it seems that over time it is losing it's "squareness"... it's getting harder and harder to put the tray in the bottom. It also has a collar we can put on it... it works really well for keeping the mess contained but we never use it because we can't get the cage through the doorway with it on and we have to do that regularly... and it's hard to affix - you need two people to do it.

Ellie.
kimmy

Post by kimmy »

ahhhhh thats no good man! hey do your ringnecks ever lose their tail feathers? because yuffie has lost heaps and i don't know why or if its normal :/ her tail is getting really short.
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

kimmy wrote:hey do your ringnecks ever lose their tail feathers? because yuffie has lost heaps and i don't know why or if its normal :/ her tail is getting really short.
Yes, they will lose them around molting time... both mine lost their longest ones a couple of months ago... they've grown back now though.

One day my husband commented on how Charlie looked funny cos his long tail feather was gone... Charlie got the most offended look on his face... next morning Janey's was gone too.... I had this feeling that Charlie plucked it out because he was jealous.... lol :)

I'm sure Yuffie's will grow back if it's just her normal molt.

Ellie.
kimmy

Post by kimmy »

ahhhh okey, thats probably what it is then! do you have Facebook? lol
LiveWire

Post by LiveWire »

Regarding the electrical cords, have you tried Cord Covers?
http://www.google.com/search?q=cord+shi ... e411eebc86
Most are plastic but you can also get them in powered coated metal.
You might also try rolls of flexible conduit. It comes in plastic and metal(careful what type) and sells for about $40(us) 100Ft. a roll. Some come with wires just pull them out.

Also nice for just tidying up your cables and electrical wires.

Just an idea :D my old lighting teacher taught us for keeping cords neat. Oh and color tape on both ends of each cord so you know what goes to what. Although the lil buggars might go right for the colorful electrical tape. :roll:
kimmy

Post by kimmy »

oooooo i've never heard of them :] thank you so much!!! im gunna look at the hardware store. im so going to need them for when i get my new addiction :/ hahaha need to hide lots of things.
xx_sheena_xx

Post by xx_sheena_xx »

Gluttony used to try and chew cords.
and one day i was sick and annoyyed and he chewed them and i yelled at him and he hasnt done it since lol
he will still try to eat buttons on phones, remotes ect but they are easy to hide from him