strange behaviour, can anyone explain, i'm new to ringnecks

Moderator: Mods

Lushen1600

strange behaviour, can anyone explain, i'm new to ringnecks

Post by Lushen1600 »

Hi I'm from pietermaritzburg in south africa, I got a semi tamed IRN from a friend who was giving her away. He told me that it is a female and its name is Jody but it seems to be developing a very light ring around its neck and he confirm that he had it for about a year but isn't sure about the age he got it at. Anyway she takes food from my hand and allows me to pet her through the cage wire but when I put my hand inside the cage she goes far away but the weirdest thing is that when I pet her through the cage she lifts up both wings slightly, lifts up her head, constricts her pupils and make a weird sound like a baby bird begging for food. Can anyone explain why she does this and is this common behaviour for IRN's
2014 Pairs
Green x Green
DGreen x DBlue
DE Blue/ino x DBlue
Grey/ino x Albino
Pallidino x Lutino
DE Blue Turq x Grey
DE Grey Turq x Blue
Greygreen/cinn x DE Blue Cinn
DE DBlue Turq x Blue Turq CHWT
Blue x DBlue Turq
Blue x Blue Pallid
Lutino/blue x Blue
Joanie

Re: strange behaviour, can anyone explain, i'm new to ringne

Post by Joanie »

i don't have an answer for you but mine does the exact same thing! she is lutino and will be 2yrs old in June.
she get all flat, head cocked back, eyes pinning and almost closed, tail down and she makes little clucking noise while i pet her about the head. she seems to be in a trance of some kind.
its probably a mating thing.........
Lushen1600

Post by Lushen1600 »

Thanks Joanne, from what I have read in another thread it seems that this type of behaviour is typical of females, so maybe she I a female after all with a light ring around the neck, will just have to wait and see
2014 Pairs
Green x Green
DGreen x DBlue
DE Blue/ino x DBlue
Grey/ino x Albino
Pallidino x Lutino
DE Blue Turq x Grey
DE Grey Turq x Blue
Greygreen/cinn x DE Blue Cinn
DE DBlue Turq x Blue Turq CHWT
Blue x DBlue Turq
Blue x Blue Pallid
Lutino/blue x Blue
bec

Post by bec »

the lying flat & tilting her head back & clucking is female behavior although juvenile males can do it too
Nettie

Post by Nettie »

My IRN (Buddy) is about 18months old now. We think he's a boy but of course not sure.
There is a pic of him in my signature if anyone would like to let me know what they think from the pic.
He quite often lifts his wings slightly and bobs his head up and down and pins his eyes, he does this at his rope perch, then he will 'straddle' the perch...is this the male mating behaviour?
Buddy
Nettie

Post by Nettie »

Oh that's good then! lol
Otherwise poor Buddy would of been one confused little bird...considering we call him Buddy Boy and he says it to, he quite often says 'what ya doing Buddy Boy' :D
Thank you for the reply :)
Buddy