Digging and crooning

Moderator: Mods

purchristeekorn

Digging and crooning

Post by purchristeekorn »

My bird Liebchen is constantly digging at the bottom of her cage. She puts her head to the ground and kicks her legs for hours. I've read that this is common among African Grey's, but can't find information with IRN's. I'm curious if anyone else has a bird that does this and if they know why. I don't know if this is suppose to be fun, or feel good on her head or what the deal is, lol.
Another thing that she does is croon. I don't know if this is the proper term, but she puts her head back and makes this constant noise when she wants to be pet. It's very cute and I'm thrilled that she likes to be petted, but it's a little problematic because I can't train her. lol. When I talk to her or put my hand near her, she automatically puts her head back and starts crooning. I've stopped petting her when does this in hopes that she pays attention long enough to get her to step up or teach her something, but she can do this forever! Any suggestions on how I can re-modify this behavior? Any suggestions would be awesome!
~Christina and Liebchen ~
Miss Jojo

Re: Digging and crooning

Post by Miss Jojo »

Hi Christina.... My Bluey behaves just like your Liebchen and unfortunately I have not been able to minimise the behaviour. I cant even get her to step up because as soon as my hand is near her she begins 'crooning'. I tried not letting her out of her cage unless she stepped up onto my hand but still she refused and just waited to be petted. I have had to accept that this is her way and be happy with that.
purchristeekorn

Post by purchristeekorn »

Ya I've already accepted it. How can I not? It's so dang cute! LOL I was hoping maybe someone had any experience with this. I've gotten her to step up twice... I tell her to step up repeatedly while she's crooning, then push my index finger under her breaat. It was kind of an automatic reaction, so I'm going to keep trying that. I know she can do it! She's quite the escape artist hahaha :-)
~Christina and Liebchen ~
Melika

Post by Melika »

It does sound as if her hormones are taking over and throwing her into mating/nesting mode.

This article is one I have found very useful: http://www.rationalparrot.com/tease.html

While you aren't having a bonding problem, the tips at the end of the article (especially about lighting) are helpful for anyone with a hormonal parrot.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
millijade

Post by millijade »

Hi,

My lovely little blue IRn has the same behaviour, He or maybe she, I think she.. Put her head back and kinds of clucks, it lays down till its belly/breast touches the ground (doesnt matter where she is put) throws the head back and makes these noises and when she gets really happy she starts sooking/whimpering high pitched like a puppy locked up.

Its so darn adorable!! :D As of yet im not having too many problems with training, she steps up for me when i want her too, i can scratch under her wings, when i give her a shower she sits on my hand "talking" with wings fully out stretched and put her head down. She peeps/sighs when i speak to her and when i an busy she is mostly quiet but when i talk to her directly she responds or i just walk away and come back 5 mins later to try again and when im out in the garden cutting back trees etc, she helps me by pulling leaves off every plant i walk past.

Dont give up on your IRN, i feel like her training is taking a long time, i've only had her 3 months and when i got her she hadnt been handled for 4 months and she was nasty. I love playing sounds to her off my laptop, she listens so intently and puts her head on the side. Im hopin it might encourage her to mimic or make more cute noises. Even if it doesnt work, i love to just sit and watch her anyway!
katiethemagnificent

Post by katiethemagnificent »

ya, i agree about hormones being to blame for this problem. once the season passes she will probably calm down though. when you pet her, try not to stroke her back, it gets them all randy and excited for some loving :lol:
jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

if you do get her to stop this behaviour, you'll wish she still did it :D

in the iterum, for training maybe try a touch toy - ive seen people use a "magic wand" style stick, with a different colour at the tip, i use a thick skewer with a wooden coloured ball/bead at the end. you can use this for training games such as getting her to touch the ball, as a starter, then that can be used to lead them to other objects. at the very least this would involve interaction where your hand is close, but not in direct contact. dont know if it would work ,but worth a try
jobo2mi

Post by jobo2mi »

Your little girl is in mating mode! :oops: She's displaying how pretty she is for you and how much she wants you for a mate ... that is the head back, crooning business.

The digging in the cage is also mating behavior. :shock: Nesting behavior, actually. She may lay you a couple eggs (mine has for the past 4 yrs). You can take them out (but that may encourage more laying) or just wait till she's done laying, let her set them until she tires of it, and then take them out.

It won't last forever. :) Once the hormones settle down, she'll be much more amenable to training and go back to her old behavior. Nothing you can do about it, it is just nature. Be patient with her....she loves you!!! :oops: :P
Joanne

and the fids -
Parakeets - Emma (RIP Bonnie & Clyde)
Tiels - Rosie, Howie
QP - Isis
Sun Conure - Precious
IRN - Nala
Caique - Timber
and the cat - BK