squiggy has refused his new perch

Moderator: Mods

katiethemagnificent

squiggy has refused his new perch

Post by katiethemagnificent »

So I went and bought a whole bunch of new birdy goodness a few weeks ago from my favorite online bird supply store. New foraging toys, new healthier food, and a new perch. Everything but the perch came last week, as that was the one item on back order. I set all the new toys etc up, and he has been having a grand old time shredding destroying and foraging. Today his new pumice perch came, so I opened the package, and set it up in his fav spot to perch and chill. he has never had any adjustment period really for new toys and items in his cage, no need for it, he just went right in and had himself a party. today however, he is being strange, he seems to hate the new perch, and wont even go into the cage now. Im wondering if it could be the color of the perch? its light blue, nothing he hasnt seen before, and like i said he has always been curious and ready to try new things. what's going on?
ellieelectrons

Re: squiggy has refused his new perch

Post by ellieelectrons »

They choose the strangest things to be scared of... and its different for different birds. I find generally they will come around to it. Some recommend introducing really gradually. For example, start by placing it on a table near the cage so they can see it and gradually move it closer, etc.

Good luck!

Ellie.
jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

ellies right. salvador was petrified when i offered him a blueberry the other day. i dont think id seen him so freaked out!
Enephis

Post by Enephis »

Hehe, I have the same problem, but with everything new.

What I usually do is just sit down in the same room and start playing with the new thing, trying to look like I'm having the time of my life. I also frequently take it in my hands while he can see me and just hold it, then put it back (I'm beginning to think this is why parrots like to pick on TV remotes so much).

It might be crazy but it works best if I put it near or in my mouth. It's how they examine new things and I'm guessing it also looks similar to eating. Recently, I even had to bite a perch to show him it's okay. I've heard that human saliva could be toxic to birds though, so if this is attempted, don't drool. :mrgreen:
jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

thats a really good idea. i'll try that one
katiethemagnificent

Post by katiethemagnificent »

Ok, I'll try playing with the perch, and giving it a taste lol, and I'll try not to drool too. I didnt know human saliva was bad for birds, I might need to tell squiggy that, because it seems to be his mission in life to get inside my mouth and steal what im eating hahaha