can any help on tips to tame 2 yr old ringneck male...plz

Moderator: Mods

green_kewi

can any help on tips to tame 2 yr old ringneck male...plz

Post by green_kewi »

so i just bought 2 yr old male ringneck. this is my third day with him. everytime i stick my hand in cage he backs off. if i get closer he runs like somethings going to kill him. i can feed him treats only useing a stick.. i put his treats at the of stick. he barely want to take...but eventully he'll take..he talks already but does anyone have any tips on how to appoach him better..plz help
ellieelectrons

Re: can any help on tips to tame 2 yr old ringneck male...pl

Post by ellieelectrons »

You're doing ok. Give him time to settle in... at least a week I would say. Is he a handraised bird or parent-raised? Has he been "tamed" before? Give him plenty of time to observe you without him being the centre of attention. Eg. watch you on the computer, watch you preparing meals, etc.

Try sitting down and eating something near the cage, this will usually make them curious.

If it's working, keep doing the treats with the stick. When he seems comfortable doing that, you can try moving your hand along the stick, closer and closer to the bird until he is taking the treats from your hand.

Put a variety of foods in his food bowl and watch to see which ones he goes for first. Withdraw these from his regular diet and give these to him as treats.

Welcome to the forum.

Best wishes!

Ellie.
green_kewi

Post by green_kewi »

thanks for reply..well the past owner said he was parent raised..but never really handled. they sold me him because he bit their kid.
i've sat him down while using labtop or watching t.v. he seems to be very calm. but is alwaies alert with every move i make. kewi really hates kids. he does not run from children. he will approach and try to bite. very aggresive. plz let me know more about these birds. thanks
Enephis

Post by Enephis »

You and your ringneck are still very new to each other. As Ellie said, give him some time to adjust to the new environment. Right now, you're a stranger to him, so he will react accordingly. Also, at this time, I wouldn't stick my hand into his cage, aside from changing his food and water. Keep your gestures slow, even the most tame birds don't appreciate rapid movements. Give him a large variety of foods, not just seeds, and observe carefully to see which are his favourite.

After a week, maybe even two, start using his favourites as treats. Use treats to draw him near you, even if for just a step or two. If he doesn't want to take it from your hand, stick it between the cage bars, take a step back and wait. The goal is to make him come closer to you, so don't just stick the treat in there and leave the room. You can even sit there, with your back turned and just read or watch TV. Shorten the distance just a little bit every next day or two, until you can give him the treat through the bars and he takes it from your fingers instead of the bars.

Eventually, you might try moving his food bowl closer to you. I used to open the door of the cage and place the food bowl on the outer side, right beneath the door, so Dodo had to climb up and eat it from there, coming out of his safe haven, thus exposing himself to us, the oh so terrifying humans. He used to grab a seed and run back in, even if I watched from another side of the room. But as time passed, I was able to come right in front of him and he would sometimes even let me touch his beak with the tip of my nose.

Another thing you can do is talk to him. A lot. It doesn't really matter what, just chat at him in a low, calming, happy voice. Your face doesn't need to be close, but make sure your expression is open, friendly and you're not staring at him (you can keep eye contact, just don't forget to blink). Once he gets used to you, he'll start chattering back in no time.

Just remember to take baby steps and try not to force things. He'll appreciate it.
effekt

Post by effekt »

He definitely needs some time to settle in. Ringnecks are not naturally tame birds, so if they aren't handled regularly, they lose their tameness. But it isn't hard to get them comfortable with you!

He may very well have a hand phobia. Many birds do, after having seen so many hands rush into their cage, their "safe place" and trying to grab them. It would be scary for anyone!

As the others said, you need to show him that your hands aren't a danger, and you can do that by slowly letting him come closer to you, on his terms. Also remember, he is the way he is, and you'll just have to accept him with his quirks.

One of my ringnecks is the sweetest thing, she loves to step up and just spend time with me. The other hates being handled. He has a hand phobia and I've worked with him on it for almost a year now, but he'll never be fully comfortable with hands near him. He lets me touch him with my nose, I can even kiss his little head but as soon as he sees my hands, he runs in fright, unless I'm holding a treat, which he will cautiously take (and then run away)!

Best luck to you and your new friend!
rockguy

Post by rockguy »

A comment on hand phobia. I have had my Ringneck for over twenty years. Many years ago when he was very wary of hands I tried putting a sock over my hand, it was an instant transformation! he imediately was comfortable with my hand he would let me pet him and would play for hours if I would let him. If I tried to approach him with the other hand without the sock he would not let me touch him. If he saw me put on the sock he would fly to me right away to play. Also on moulting when my bird is going thru a moult he is very unsocial doesnt want a thing to do with me I think he has self esteem issues during this time. As the moult gets closer to the end things start to get back to naormal.