Will Male IRNs try feed other Males?

Moderator: Mods

Vandarius

Will Male IRNs try feed other Males?

Post by Vandarius »

Yes yes ... and interesting question indeed i might say .. ive searched google ... and IRN.com. I have 3 ringnecks.

Quilla - 6 year old Green Female
Orcah - 14 month Grey (Male ... i think )

and the new addition to the family

Chalk - 7 month old Blue

Now im pretty sure Orcah is a boy, hes very passive - happily sits on your hand, does the heart thingy with his wings talks and runs around tapping his beak and paces ( espeshilly when you take Chalk away from him ).

however ... we think Chalk is a boy, talks lots .. explores everything and is very tame - but Orcah has been trying to feed him(/her) ... Admittidly Chalk does domminate Orcah ( like Quilla does ) and Orcah always sits around patienly while the other 2 eat. Including sitting up at night outside their houses after they have gone to sleep.

Anyone ever heard of Males feeding males? Im sure its entirely possible and may just be experimenting.
Donna

Re: Will Male IRNs try feed other Males?

Post by Donna »

Sure they do! He's not feeding him for sexual reasons he's feeding him because his a baby. Males do help feed the chicks in the clutch.

Donna :)
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
julie

Post by julie »

I have a definate male indian and a definate male alexandrian who are housed together. The alex feeds the irn all the time.
Vandarius

Post by Vandarius »

awesome thanks people !

Pretty sure we have 2 males ( and a female ) :) Our little blue one started to do all his hormonal jabba on the weekend pinning his eyes staunching out his reflection in the mirror - was quite the display.
julie

Post by julie »

My youngest who is around 4 mnths was trying to impress a butter knife the other day :oops:
SCB -SA

Post by SCB -SA »

glad to know i am not alone... i have 2 males (one is 22 months one is 18months) and 2 females (one is only 4 months and the other is 17 months), now both my males are in love with my older female, they both chase her and dance for her and try feed her and do thier thing, but when the female is in her cage my blue boy (18month one) will dance and try feed my older green boy, i am not sure if it is a respect thing or coz he is scared of the older male, and the older male usually chases my younger boy away coz the female fancies my greeen boy over the younger blue.... I stilll specially got a younger blue female as a companion for my blue boy and for now he hates her, thinking he will only take a fancy to her when he realises she is a girl?!?

and i have one male garden dove who fancies all my ringnecks and he puffs himself up and coos and carries on everytime he sees any of my ringnecks (i think he is lonely but just cannot find him a mate).

So yeah i guess the males do feed each other!