IRN & our dog

Moderator: Mods

BC88irn

IRN & our dog

Post by BC88irn »

Hi All!

Soo i have a blue irn hes quite tame and has just started to get his black collar around his neck, we also dont clip his wings-mainly because we have a large sun room which is enclosed that he loves to fly around in, we also have a small dog. they have been getting along fine until recently were my bird armani will actually walk in-front of the dog and do that male display thingy while pinning his eyes he also swoops at the dog too he actually had the dog backed into a corner which was quite funny to see but u can see the problem (one day the dog may retaliate). ive never heard of this behaiviour with birds is it a territory thing or?? im thinking im going to have to clip his wings and do further training with him as its getting quite hard now as he flies everywhere.

Cheers.
SCB -SA

Re: IRN & our dog

Post by SCB -SA »

if you are open to getting another bird, maybe get him a companion, as he may then spend time with his friend as opposed to harassing the dog...

I had the same problem with my cats, and got my male a companion, and it worked for a year, up until a few months ago my bird ignored my cat completely, now every now and then my birds will hop off their stands to go and harass the cats for a while (my birds wings are clipped) and i just have to go shoo the cat into the next room or put the birds back on their stand and give them some fruit or veg or something to entertain themselves for a while so they can foerget about worrying my cats again.

So really its up to you but perhaps safest option is just keeping the dog out the room when your bird is out...
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

I haven't seen this myself but my husband tells me his friend as a Princess Parrot who has free reign of the house. She will sometimes pick up cutlery and try to drop it on the dog's head. Poor puppy.
SCB -SA wrote:I had the same problem with my cats, and got my male a companion, and it worked for a year, up until a few months ago my bird ignored my cat completely, now every now and then my birds will hop off their stands to go and harass the cats for a while (my birds wings are clipped) and i just have to go shoo the cat into the next room or put the birds back on their stand and give them some fruit or veg or something to entertain themselves for a while so they can foerget about worrying my cats again.
I guess they start to harass the other animals when they're bored?

My Charlie (lutino IRN) seems to like to harass Janey (Blue IRN) when he is bored which is one of the reasons I'm trying to get them to do more foraging.

I agree that a companion may help.

Ellie.
SCB -SA

Post by SCB -SA »

yup i have put it down to boredom as well, as when i first got my birds wings clipped and got them thier play stand they were fine happy and occupied for hours chasing each other around on it and playing the fool, now they are bored of it, they have gone back to molesting my cats.... hehe
Melika

Post by Melika »

Another bird will change the relationship you have with your IRN. So that isn't a decision to make lightly.

Our birds, with or without bird companions, always dive-bombed the dogs. That is one of the reasons I clip. The dog's instinct is to snap at something flying by their face. My dogs are all very well trained when it comes to my other animals- they are MINE and are not to be touched. Our birds even harass them by walking up and biting their toes and stealing their toys. But instinct is a hard thing to overcome. My last dog would automatically open his mouth and turn his head when a bird swooped at him, but would catch himself before anything happened. I worried that in a moment of excitement, he wouldn't catch himself in time. And even just a scratch from a cat or a dog's tooth can kill a parrot by introducing bacteria into their bloodstream. Even just a small bite from a dog can be powerful on little parrot bones.

We never did have an incident, but I also clipped all the bird's wings. Now that Hane is older, I do let him regrow his feathers fully and fly for a few weeks before I clip again. He doesn't dive the dogs anymore... he much prefers hovering over my sister- he wants her to have his babies! :lol: But for safety reasons (back door always opening and closing through the day) I do clip after a while when keeping the back door locked becomes a hassle and Hane begins developing attitude.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay