Ring neck bitting

Moderator: Mods

mickpmc

Ring neck bitting

Post by mickpmc »

Hello
I have been taking my Ring neck out of his cage lately.
I hold him close to my chest and pat him on the head. (His wings are clipped).
After 20 mins, I put him on my shoulder. He sits there and poo's on my :lol: .
I talk to him and look at him from the side of my eye.
But, the thing I'v noticed is that he bites alot. He was DNA tested and he is a male but doesn't that
mean he is a female. When they bluff.
He is almost 3 months old?
I haven't been using gloves but pull away when he bites. He settles down afterwards.
Any help?

Milo...Boy...Buddy
Donna

Re: Ring neck bitting

Post by Donna »

Hi! Male and female go through a bitty stage. Don't allow him on your shoulders until you learn his body language and he has come out of his nippy ways. Donna :)
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
mickpmc

Post by mickpmc »

Donna wrote:Hi! Male and female go through a bitty stage. Don't allow him on your shoulders until you learn his body language and he has come out of his nippy ways. Donna :)
whys that?

Milo...Boy...Buddy
Donna

Post by Donna »

birds are quick and unpredictable, if your bird has bite issues you really dont want him that close to your eyes. Donna
In Loving Memory

I miss you both
bec

Post by bec »

you dont want those bites on your face...............................
trust me on this they REALLY hurt
mickpmc

Post by mickpmc »

bec wrote:you dont want those bites on your face...............................
trust me on this they REALLY hurt
He hasn't bit me on the face. Only hands.
should I just hold him and pat him while talking to him?

Milo...Boy...Buddy
Donna

Post by Donna »

for now it's best to leave him on your hand. I had one that would run up my chest and bite my lip for no reason (oouucchh) :lol: Donna
In Loving Memory

I miss you both
mickpmc

Post by mickpmc »

Well,
I looked on the internet and found a method for taming.
I believe it's called the 'Clicker Method',
I looked at the video, this is it.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkI9PvOsjS0&NR=1

But the thing I can't do this method is because my bird flies around a lot.
He may land on something but if I try to pick him up, he will run away. His wings are cut (well, 1 wing).
Should I just continue holding him in my hand, (over him wings gently)?
When I hold him in my hand, I keep him close to my chest/stomach and pat him on the head while talking to him.
Should I reward him with a treat? Millet?
It's just the clicker method is good, but not a good start for taming for me.
Please help

Milo...Boy...Buddy
julie

Post by julie »

clip both wings
Roro1988

Post by Roro1988 »

Hi everyone i have a little problem with my 7 month old indian ringneck...As long as it concerns me and him its all fine. He loves me soo much and never bites me. The problem is that 3 month ago it was ok with everyone. But recently it is running away from everyone whenever they try to touch it. There are some people it tries to bite when it doesn't like them, but it runs away most of the time. Recently my parents went abroad for 1 month and when they came back, it will not let my mum touch him at any cost. It is the same with my girlfriend.....but if it happens that my mum hold it by force when its running away, it will not bite my mum!!!!...it only runs away from them??? Recently it is doing this with nearly everyone...of course there are also some it will try to bite!!...But with me its completely different...Seems that it likes to stay with me all the time!!!....What can be its problem??...Is this normal?? Is there any way i can make it ok with my mum or my girlfriend at least????
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Sounds like your bird has bonded with you. You probably spend lots of time with it and it knows you, understands you and trusts you. If others in your family are prepared to spend lots of time with the bird and work patiently with it, it will eventually come around.... but it may not bond as strongly with them as it has you.

Good luck.

Ellie.
Roro1988

Post by Roro1988 »

Thanks a lot ellie....this helped me a lot. I was kinda worried about it whether my bird could do this to me also someday... Its nice to hear that its strongly attached to me and trusts me :)) Does this mean that training my bird can be much easier....??
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Roro1988 wrote:Thanks a lot ellie....this helped me a lot. I was kinda worried about it whether my bird could do this to me also someday... Its nice to hear that its strongly attached to me and trusts me :)) Does this mean that training my bird can be much easier....??
Hmmmm.... maybe, maybe not. I think Janey is more strongly bonded to my husband than me (although I spend more time with them) and I seem to be better with training her... but that's probably because I spend more time with them. I think the training stuff is all to do with how patient you are and how well you can break the behaviour down that you want to small approximations as well as the personality and interest-levels of the bird.

Good luck.

Ellie.