Breeder Tamed to Pet?

Moderator: Mods

racheljean10

Breeder Tamed to Pet?

Post by racheljean10 »

So it could possibly be that I'm just not very good at navigating around this forum, but I can't seem to find any topics regarding what I have a question about.
A LOT of the IRNs that I find for sale are "breeders". Perhaps my understanding of breeders isn't correct, but from what I've heard, breeders aren't really to be handled - you get a pair, they breed, either they (or you) raise the babies, you sell them, repeat, etc.
I was wondering if you can at all tame a breeder into being a good pet? If they weren't hand-raised and obviously haven't had much human interaction, it's safe to assume that they will have some apprehension towards humans, but is it possible to break them of this?
I really can't seem to find any affordable IRNs in my area, or anywhere for that matter. The one that I was supposed to adopt fell through, so I have everything I need - a cage, food, TONS of toys - it's like preparing for the long awaited adoption of a baby just to be told that the parents have decided to keep them after all. An IRN addition to our family has been long awaited - I'm now looking at all of my options.
Thanks for any help.
-Rachel (:
Rockie (Calico Macaw)
Snakey (Columbian Boa)
Olie (Clear Cap Lacewing IRN)
Grizzly and Rex (Kitties)
jeezusbeams

Re: Breeder Tamed to Pet?

Post by jeezusbeams »

Hello, I just picked up a breeding male, 4.5yrs old. Now all birds are diffrent, but the male i got is pretty easygoing. Sure he bit when i first tried picking him up, but after about two weeks i have been able to get him to step up and alsokeep my female tame and have them bond for breeding. I am pretty amazed it actually hasn't been as hard as i thought, but it is dependent upon the bird.
jimmyjack

Re: Breeder Tamed to Pet?

Post by jimmyjack »

if you get an older bird that isnt used to human contact, it just might be more difficult to tame them and get them used to human contact than if it was hand raised from a baby. it might also never achieve the same level of bond as the latter. thats not to say you couldnt do it or shouldnt.
alot of people come to this forum (me included!) about how best to tame a bird that is grown up and simply isnt - sometimes abused, or picked up somehow, or been through previous owners, etc - but i couldnt see how that would be different to your situation. have a read through some of the other posts regarding these, quite often have a "HELP" in the title for some guidance on how to go about doing so :)

good luck and i hope you can find yourself a much awaited friend!