baby games

Moderator: Mods

jimmyjack

baby games

Post by jimmyjack »

what are some good games to start playing and way to start training with a babyt? ive read through the parrot enrichment, but not sure how to get going. im doing things like step up and such, but want to get him to start playing with toys and such?

and whats a good age to start training. hes about 7 weeks now - walking, flying, chewing (though not much strength in his beak)...
Melika

Re: baby games

Post by Melika »

Just give him toys to play with on his own. Bright and different textures so you can figure out what he likes best. I hang them low in the cage for the little bubs to play with. Make sure wooden toys are thin enough (think like tongue depressors) that they can be chewed easily. You want to encourage chewing now that way he'll always maintain his beak well through life.

I like to make sure they play on their own, to help stave off boredom. You can also play with foot toys when you have him out with you. Nudge stuff around towards him and see what he does. Responses from them are adorable!

Step up is simply placing your hand above the feet of your parrot and pressing gently against their breastbone. This makes them fall over a little bit and instinctively they step forward. Some people have more success stepping up with their finger behind the feet, try both and see what works for you.

I also trained Hane to be used to being grabbed swiftly and from above. I have dogs and you never know what's going to happen. I figured if I ever needed to run over and grab him, I didn't want him trying to run away during an emergency! I tried to expose him to sights and sounds at every turn to avoid him becoming afraid of everything. Just like I would any baby, human or animal. I even took him for car rides in a carrier.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
jimmyjack

Re: baby games

Post by jimmyjack »

yeah the step up im fine with. hes gotten to using his wings and flying and is learning to land on hand when we put it up in the air for him.

he has toys with with a variety of textures - paddlepop stick, beads, wood chews, leather, rice crackers, plastic chain and rope. the spoilt thing has made a habit of pacing back and forth infront of the cage if we're in, or have recently left the room (he spends alot of time out of the cage), and he clumsy falls all about his cage. He's perching all the time though, and its very rarely we catch him napping on the floor.

hes quite used to being handled all over and in different ways too. being "snatched", cupped, stroked, scratched and all sorts. he also has about an hour nap snuggled in my cupped hands/lap (so cute but frustrating as i cant do anything during this time! good thing i like movies!).

i'll try the foot toys. ive read about using a bit of pvc piping. any other good ideas?