How to get my irn to trust me.

Moderator: Mods

LoveMyRosie

How to get my irn to trust me.

Post by LoveMyRosie »

Ive had her for 6-7 years now (i think), and she had 2 previous owners.
I've just finished school so i have plenty of time at home and wondered if it is too late to be able to hand tame her.

She is deathly afraid of anyone getting close to her EXCEPT when i or someone gives her food from between the cage bars,
which she eagerly awaits and comfortably takes from us and begins to eat without running away.
But if i try to give it to her from inside her cage she becomes frightened and lunges at my fingers instead of the food.
We have never let her out of the cage for fear we can never catch her, and i doubt any vet could get close enought to catch her without her hurting herself (also i dont like seeing her in such fright and "anger").

Is there anything i can do to build up her trust in me?
Georgie

Re: How to get my irn to trust me.

Post by Georgie »

Hi, don't know a lot myself but my baby was a rescue, so he has some trust issues too. He spent 5 years in his cage before he come to me. What I have done is to spend at least an hour or so just with him. I spend time talking with him and working to gain his trust. The first time I met him, he ran to the back of his cage when anyone would come near. In less than a week he was coming to the front to sing for me. Now almost 2 months later, he comes out of his cage, gets on his perch and will step up on my arm for treats. He still has some issues but we are progressing, so from my experience all I can say is to take time with her and let her learn to trust you by being there for her and spending the time. Best of luck and keep me up on how she is doing.
LoveMyRosie

Post by LoveMyRosie »

thanks for the response, i spent the other day sitting quite close to her while she ate from her food bowl and she seemed comfortable enough but i think she is just afraid of being touched, so would it be better to have a vet clip her wings and to let her out to wander before somehow getting her back into her cage?
jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

try small gradual steps.

it would be better to have several sessions per day, like four sessions of even ten minutes rather than one long one, but whatever you can manage. taking her to your avian vet to have her wings clipped may help with the process aswell. Although you may not be able to handle her, they are professionals and im sure theyve seen worse birds than yours.

as for building a relationship, you could sit infront of the cage and eat a meal. sounds silly, but she will be very curious of you eating. after a few sessions/days when she begins to settle down with you being next to the cage. try the same thing, but this time with the door open (make sure all the doors in the house are closed!). you could place some treats next to the door to help her down. when shes used to this, as you sit there, hold the treat in your hand at the door to see if they come down. be patient, it may take several days to build even that small trust.

any good behaviour and steps in the right direction should be rewarded with loving language and treats. its a slow process, but definately necessary. it will take time aswell, as youve had the bird for a while now, and the change in your behaviour may make it suspicious.

good luck! and baby steps...
LoveMyRosie

Post by LoveMyRosie »

thanks for the replies everyone, if anyone wants to further add their views feel free, i appreciate it in advance.
Melika

Post by Melika »

Clipping the wings sort of goes the opposite route. Instead of gradually building trust, it forces it since the bird cannot go anywhere without your assistance now.

Since you are already making some progress as you are and have built some trust, wing clipping might break that trust. I think with time she will learn to trust you more, when you put forth the effort and give the opportunity. :)
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
LoveMyRosie

Post by LoveMyRosie »

Possibly but ive had her for a long time now, and apart from giving her treats from cage bars or occasionally inside the cage she does not like our hands being too close to her, also im afraid if i let her out she will not return to her cage :[.
Melika

Post by Melika »

Understandable.

In that case, I would take her somewhere and have someone else do the clipping. If you remain the the room during the clipping, she needs to not be able to see you and you must not speak. Then when it's done you can 'save' her from the evil wing clipping people and talk and be reassuring. This is what my sister and I do (we have lots of practice). We don't talk during the clipping and the bird is toweled and cannot see us. Then we each 'save' our bird and they're happy to see us after. :D
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

thats a very crafty little trick!