Bored IRN

Moderator: Mods

MariaPMC

Bored IRN

Post by MariaPMC »

Hey, i think my bird is bored, i tried to make him toys with wool strings, got him balls, a mirror, a bell, got a swing that he wrecks everyday, but other then that, he just sats all day in the same place, only leaves to eat and drink. When he's outside he screams, but that's about it. :S Is there anything else i can make/do? All my other birdies are happy, finches with branches and swing; budgies with toys with balls, ladders, bells, mirrors; cockatiel keeps singing, i suppose that's an entertainment for her lol, but he just so static :\ i'm worried!
Should i buy little toys for him to chew off? =( Help my bored IRN!!!
Melika

Re: Bored IRN

Post by Melika »

I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

iggy is the same. it depends upon how they grow up, not all birds play with toys so dont worry too much. ive yet to find a solution to ours, but possibly treats on hanging toys (like with the "bobbit" i think its called?) or natural branches and such, but be careful of mites if putting outside branches and leaves and such.
jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

i downloaded the parrot enrichment books a few weeks back because theyre great for toy ideas. this is an extract from the second book that i only read last night and am definately going to try and begin training again.

but on this note, ive looked and cant find how to start some training activities/behaviours, such as waving?

when you look at the lengthy lifespan of a parrot, it certainly makes sense to invest even a small amount of time in training to be more likely to have a well behaved and happy avian companion. training works.

this is the extract:

a behaviour cant be reinforced until it occurs, which could present a problem when one needs to teach a new behaviour to a parrot. Waiting for the behaviour to occur by happenstance and capturing it with reinforcement might be an option but some behaviors occur too infrequently or not at all. The solution to this problem is known as shaping, technically called differential reinforcement of successive approximations. Shaping is the procedure of reinforcing a graduated sequence of subtle changes toward the final behavior, starting with the closest response the bird already does. Below are two examples of shaping plans, one for teaching independent toy play and the other, bathing. The reinforcers listed in each plan and the specific approximations are just examples and need to be customized according to the preferences and comfort level of each individual bird. Shaping, as with all behavior change programs, is a study of one.

Shaping Plan 1 Playing with Toys

1. Final Behavior: Independent toy play.

2. Closest behavior bird already does: Looks at toy.

3. Reinforcer for each approximation that meets the criterion:
Safflower seeds and praise.

4. Tentative approximations:
a. Look at toy
b. Move toward toy
c. Touch beak to toy
d. Pick up toy with beak
e. Touch foot to toy
f. Hold toy with foot while manipulated with beak
g. Repeat previous approximation for longer durations
MariaPMC

Post by MariaPMC »

Thanks for the link i'll read it as soon as i can, and i'll keep you guys posted if there's any development :)