Ok lets try this again, Maybe i will get qa response.

Moderator: Mods

jeezusbeams

Ok lets try this again, Maybe i will get qa response.

Post by jeezusbeams »

It is early winter here in Michigan. My IRN Is 9 months old going on 10, He has started to either have a Heavy Moult losing all his feathers accept baby down feathers, looks almost bare He is picking everywhere mostly lower half right now but pretty much everywhere. There is no blood, pain, or screamign so what i am asking is this plucking or His first heavy moult were he is losing all his feathers.
ellieelectrons

Re: Ok lets try this again, Maybe i will get qa response.

Post by ellieelectrons »

Can you post a picture? What you have described doesn't sound like a normal moult to me... but a picture should confirm.

Ellie.
jeezusbeams

Post by jeezusbeams »

I wish i could post a picture but i am on my old computer and i can not. His plucking or moulting is symetrical, even on both sides of his body. No screaming, pain, or blood
Melika

Post by Melika »

Please wait more than a day before reposting a topic. Not all of us are online every day but we do try to come on and answer you questions as quickly as possible.

That's impossible to answer without a picture of your bird, like Ellie said. There is also the possibility of a parasite or disease as well that could be interfering with new feather growth.

One time my sister went off on vacation and when I walked in to check on her bird, my immediate thought was "OMG he's dying!" but I went closer and it was just a seriously heavy moult. :lol:

But here:

Moulting (note pin feathers)

Plucking (note lack of pin feathers)
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
jeezusbeams

Post by jeezusbeams »

Well thanks for the pictures, he looks like he is plucking, i am thinking its from the peanuts. Going to take away peanuts from his diet.
jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

i'd dont know about that - havent heard anything about peanuts associated with plucking???

from what ive heard its usually related to bored, stress and/or sexual frustration. is he getting lots of attention? playing with toys? or is he left mostly to himself? read the post "foraging". a great idea that probably isnt being done by most of us out there...