splayed legs?

Moderator: Mods

jimmyjack

splayed legs?

Post by jimmyjack »

so my little baby is still a few weeks old, at most five. nearly has full plumage but still quite a few feathers to grow, and big gawky feet. her preferred habit of head down bum up is maintained even when she tries to walk, so that she kicks her feet out behind her, looking more like a penguin slide.

just wanted to know if this is normal or should i be worried about something greater? splay legs perhaps? here is a photo i took, best i could get. the bird is 5 weeks old, is it too late to do anything? its been like this since ive had him. what can i do?

yoshi

Re: splayed legs?

Post by yoshi »

I don't think anything is wrong. When they are that young, there is really no way to tell if he'll just grow out of it. We got Yoshi when he was only 5 weeks old and he couldn't walk well. But eventually he was able and he's 8 months now and completely normal. Also- the picture you posted was on tile. That tile is slippery so he can't really get any grip. Maybe keep him on a towel or wash cloth. I think you'll see big differences.

Keep feeding and get him weaned when he's ready and I'm sure he'll be just fine.
jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

no, that was just for that photo. on towel or carpet its even more exaggerated. however, thanks for the confidence boost.

worried parent syndrome!
SCB -SA

Post by SCB -SA »

I have just had a baby with splayed legs, and although it dosnt look as if your baby has splayed legs, it should be perching by that age, so best yay to check is to add a perch to the cage and allow him or her time to start learning to perch, when they are young they do like to scoot around with their heads down, also another good thing to do is go to your vet or petstore and buy a vitamin supplement for him or her!
SCB -SA

Post by SCB -SA »

also, did u hand raise that bird yourself? As i have hand raised a few of my own and your definetely looks older than 5 weeks old...
jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

hey was raised with the parents for 4 weeks and was the dominant of the litter - the other looks markedly less developed. all is well however. we now have a fully walking, flying, happy healthy and attached new friend
SCB -SA

Post by SCB -SA »

Then your baby was just being a normal buba, i have never figured out why they like scooting around with their bums up and heads down! but they all seem to do it! glad he/she is fine! my babys leg has finally been sorted out, and she is perching at last, she is 6 weeks old, and half the size of your baby (she was obvioulsy the runt)! She will be small all her life but she is a sweetie!
Melika

Post by Melika »

It's normal. They build strength and balance slowly and with time. It will all come together. :)
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

i suppose the same way human children kick and crawl before walking. gotta start somewhere!

i was just soo freaked out, because when i went to look up about it, all i saw was about splayed legs, no mention of "your bird may just be scooting as it learns to use its legs" :P may have been helpful. plus the mother had a batch several years ago that splayed, so it wasnt a completely paranoid conclusion!