Affraid of contact and lowland

Moderator: Mods

Ferkiz

Affraid of contact and lowland

Post by Ferkiz »

Hello. I have a problem with my IRN taming. He is little older than 1 year. He is in our house for 9 months and all i could do with his taming was that he can step on my fingers and say somthing in his "language". First 2 month it was perfect. He taked food from my hand in 3 days. Later he stand on my fingers and let scratch top of his head, he even walked from my fingers to my shoulder for a treat. But now he is afraid of my, he still can step on my fingers for a treat and thats it, nothing more.... I can't touch him he is afraid of my hand, i give him a treat every single day but he still afraid of my hand. In 9 month this result of taming I think is very bad. Other problem, he lands only on chandalier or carnize, he doesn't want to land on a sofa or on chair, even when i'm not in the room. I put treats all over the room but he still doesn't land ant take it. He never been in other rooms only in one where he lives. Please help me with some advices :cry:
jimmyjack

Re: Affraid of contact and lowland

Post by jimmyjack »

hi ferkiz.

dont be too worried. keep up the persistance, and try a slow progression - try to hold your hand near the bird to the point where it seems uncomfortable, hold your hand there for several seconds, then remove it with lots of "good boy" words and praise. continue this for about 20 mins a day, only going as far as the bird is comfortable. slowly, the bird will trust your hand but it takes time and perserverance. dont offer treats all the time, as you bird will learn that it can get the treats without changing its habit.

you say your IRN is about 1 year old? it may be going through an adolescent stage called bluffing. just as human teenagers often become irritated and difficult, IRNs go through a similar stage. below is a link to some information about bluffing. dont change your training or ignore the bird but just keep at it.

http://www.indianringneck.com/bluffing/

my girl, iggy, will only let me pat her on the chest and still doesnt like being touched on her back or head. all birds are different and you have to make sure they are comfortable above all else. Also, as to landing on certain things, parrots are natural climbers and like to be high aswell. Try making a perch for him/her to go on, or even a play stand.

If you havent already, get your local vet to clip the wings. this can help with taming and will also prevent it from reaching high places that you cant get your baby down from. If you are worried this will hurt the bird, it will not, and is akin to us getting our hair cut. the feathers will grow back in time, and will not take away your birds ability to fly, just reduce it.

good luck!