And so it begins....

Moderator: Mods

JustinKyle

And so it begins....

Post by JustinKyle »

Hi everyone,

I'm new here, my name is Justin, and I've recently bought a beautiful 8 week old IRN named Jameson.
I did introduce myself in the 'introduce yourself' section, but I'm guessing that's not the most widely read thread :D

Jamie is now 9 weeks and 2 days old, and is weaning very well but....I think the bluffing has begun (cue music from Jaws)

I'd like to know what to do when trying to get him to 'step-up' from the inside of the cage. Previously, it was no problem, but now, i fear my fingers are his new favourite snack.

I know that I need to ignore the bluffing and not shout etc, but if he is trying his luck from the inside of his cage, should I just proceed in getting him to step-up, or should I let him cool of for a while?

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Justin
U.S Marine

Re: And so it begins....

Post by U.S Marine »

Jaws is a real classic, great movie! hope another part is in the making. Gradulations on Jameson well your bird should have its cage were people in your house are at the most times of day, if not then were james can atleast hear voices not t.v but your own voice. Now you want james to understand your hand is harmless. Do this by feeding him when you change hus bowls and water. change his water more then twice a day and more is even better. he will soon realise your hand is okay then work your way from there from stepping up.
julie

Post by julie »

Honestly My boy indie who i have had for 8yrs still does it to us sometimes, i sometimes use food as a bribe. He starts pinning and really giving us the impression he is going to take fingers but when he realises we arent backing off he ends up on our hand. getting him back in his cage is tricky too :roll: he pulls pretty muchly the same trick.
U.S Marine

Post by U.S Marine »

Hi Julie, what color is Indie How many do you have?
Melika

Post by Melika »

To be back on topic...

Letting him cool off and pushing him to step up is going to depend on what works best for Jameson.

Try both and see what works. It is important that you get Jameson to come out to prevent him from being cage-bound. But I think we as humans also have to realize that sometimes our parrots just want to be left alone! You will have to find your balance between the two with your young parrot.

Hane hardly bluffed at all- but I think that's because he got the best foods when he came out and got on his stand for veggies and seed! His stomach rules him. :lol:
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
JustinKyle

Post by JustinKyle »

Hey everybody, thanks so much for the advice, I really appreciate it.

I have worked out that i should just carry-on with stepping up, as he's only bluffing (when the heck will it end;-)

Will post photo's of jamie soon.

Have an awesome evening.

Justin