Screeching

Moderator: Mods

johnny123

Screeching

Post by johnny123 »

Hello
My IRN is 46 days old today and in perfect condition. Thus I'm currently weaning her en she has started taking seeds.
My question however is regarding her screeching: This occurs only when she sees me or one of my family members, so I'm guessing that is a way of looking for attention. Sometimes she'll be quiet untill I pick her up and then she starts screeching in my ear while on my shoulder. I've read that people say one must ignore them/put them back in their cage everytime they screech and only take them out when they are quiet??
Somehow this doesn't feel rigth to me and I'm looking for advice on how to fix this?
Thank you
U.S Marine

Re: Screeching

Post by U.S Marine »

Waka Waka Africa!!! Spain won the world cup lol, next year Africa. :lol:
Your bird loves you guys, it wants to be next to yous all the time if it sees you,
hears you it starts screeching. You got two choices, either totally IGNORE, or choice
two is to talk back to it but softly. You can do both.
johnny123

Post by johnny123 »

Waka Waka and now America is in debt. And China is gonna own you, WAKA WAKA :lol:
U.S Marine

Post by U.S Marine »

lol, own who? We are all owned by our governments. To be free is to be with nature!
johnny123

Post by johnny123 »

I must say that is very true
Melika

Post by Melika »

It really is the best way. Parrots understand being ignored. Mine turns his back on me when he's unhappy lol.

When she begins to screech, immediately put her down on her stand or in her cage. Reward the quiet, ignore the yelling. Encourage little noises by talking with your girl quietly.

Scenario 1. Polly sees people and begins yelling out her hello to them and they miraculously come over and let Polly out. Polly realizes yelling means getting out and being with her people. Each time this happens the idea is reinforced.

Scenario 2. Polly sitting on shoulder begins to yell loudly but is immediately interrupted and put where she doesn't want to me. Wait a minute. Back on shoulder Polly yells again and once again she is removed from where she wants to be. Polly begins to see the connection between yelling and not getting what she wants. Polly will try something else since yelling doesn't work.

Granted, if there is a loud TV, yelling people, etc. in the home it will encourage a bird to be loud. I am relatively quiet and Hane seems to have followed the example (I would leave the room if he began yelling as he was growing up).
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
johnny123

Post by johnny123 »

Appreciate the advice, and I've been doing this for the past few days and Im actually starting to see some results
Fiorella

Post by Fiorella »

Hi everyone, just out of curiosity. My bird is 13 weeks old and she always screeches when she wants hand feedings. I've been told that she is too old to still get hand feedings but on the other hand I want her to grow up feeling safe and like there is always food for her. I tried starting off with three feedings a day, then down to two then down to one, then down to none but she still wants them. There's is always food in her cage, soft veggies, some seed, fruit, pellets and a couple of treats etc... Even though she eats these, I can't help but notice that she throws lots of them on the floor and still screeches for her feedings.

Should I ignore the screeches or just continue to give her feedings until she no longer wants them?
johnny123

Post by johnny123 »

Hello

As long as you are going to keep on feeding him/her when he screeches, he is going to notice that he gets an reaction and keep doing it.
My IRN also screeches alot and what worked for me was the following:
When your IRN is quiet, give him/her attention, but as soon as he screeches put him back in the cage and ignore him, do not even make eye contact. After a while they realise that being quiet allows them to receive attention