HELP NEEDED - IRN rules the roost

Moderator: Mods

Sarahrahrah

HELP NEEDED - IRN rules the roost

Post by Sarahrahrah »

Hi all

Over the past few months, my female IRN has become increasingly naughty and (worryingly) aggressive.

She's not been like this in the past, of course she would like a squawk and a fly around in the mornings and evenings. However, recently, her behaviour has become much more erratic and it's beginning to concern me and my mother. She will fly around the room for about half an hour to an hour at any time, many times a day, with what can only be described as a sense of panic about her. When she lands on a surface she will have a slight pant and her eyes pin. It doesn't seem to be related to a need for anything, as the screeching doesn't subside with my attempts to quiet her (with food/water, a bath, attention, etc). She will step up, however, when I try to tickle her (thinking that she just wants a cuddle) she will fly away squawking again. Sometimes, this behaviour becomes combined with 'dive bombing' you, as you walk past - sometimes even if you are just sitting down she will purposefully clip your head with her wings.

She has never bitten me hard. However, she has nipped my mother and what is worrying me now, is the fact that (since the above started) she is now biting my mom, AS she dive bombs her. She has landed on the side of her head and bit her ear, just a couple of days ago. She growls aggressively as she does this and her eyes sometimes pin.

Another thing which I have noticed more recently. She has started to destroy things in the home. Decorative boxes, shelves, door frames and books - completely ignoring her own toys which would be perfect for her to rip to pieces! We try to stop her as soon as we notice. However, this can be hard when we she is in the room alone.

She's always been a very confident bird. Not being timid in anyway, with me and my mom, our dog and other birds. The only other 'person' in the house who she seems to shy away from is my pet rat! But this is getting concerning now, especially since I have a baby due in January, so I just cannot take a risk with Lulu (my IRN) being aggressive towards the baby. Aside from the above, she's the best companion that I've ever had, so much personality and affection. I couldn't be without her. I just can't figure out this change in behaviour, as we are not doing anything differently with her.

We usually give her food and water when we get up and then let her out after we've been up a while. She'll have half an hour to an hour of tickles with me in the mornings before I go to work, before she flies off to climb about on her and the other animals cages. She's then left to herself for about 4 hours while me and my mom are at work. In the evenings when I get home she has more time playing with me or my mom, before going back into her cage with more food and water. We then turn the lights off for her. This is usually between 6pm and 8pm. Our living area downstairs in kind of open plan, but there is a section which separates the front and back living areas. The cages are in the front and we are in the back, so it is easy for her to fly through to us, but she has her own dark and quiet area at night.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I could be doing wrong here? Or is this just a phase that IRNs go through? I'd say that she's about three years old. However, I can't be too sure, as the person who I got her from turned out to be not as legitimate as I'd thought. As you can probably tell, I'm not the most experienced bird owner. But I look after her well and will make sure that anything I'm doing wrong will be put right, if anyone could advise me I'd be so appreciative.

Thanks

Sarah
ellieelectrons

Re: HELP NEEDED - IRN rules the roost

Post by ellieelectrons »

I only have some theories....

Maybe others can add what they think.
Sarahrahrah wrote:Another thing which I have noticed more recently. She has started to destroy things in the home. Decorative boxes, shelves, door frames and books - completely ignoring her own toys which would be perfect for her to rip to pieces! We try to stop her as soon as we notice. However, this can be hard when we she is in the room alone.
This could be nesting behaviour?

I think the agressive behaviours could be because she is bonded to you and she may be jealous of others who spend time with you?

This next one might be a bit far out... but maybe she knows there is a change in you (given that you are pregnant) and this makes her anxious...

What does everyone else think?

Ellie.
Miss Jojo

Post by Miss Jojo »

Hi Sarahrahrah,

I have just read your post and thought it sounded very similiar to my experiences with Bluey.
If you read my post Hooley Dooley! What a tantrum the advice might help.
It sure helped Bluey and I :)

Jo
Sarahrahrah

Post by Sarahrahrah »

Thanks for the replies :)

We had problems with 'nesting' a few months ago, which we quickly nipped in the bud by removing the offending box. She had been chewing away at the bottom of it for a while (unbeknown to us) and had started to make a nest inside of it. In fact, her behaviour at that time was quite similar to how it is now, but as we picked up on it so quickly it didn't last long at all. I was sure that it couldn't be that again, as she's not able to physically 'nest' anywhere now, just chews things to pieces.

It seems like wing clipping is the best option here. But I have to admit that I've always been very cautious of this, mainly because I know how much she loves to fly around and spread her wings. She would hate having to rely on me to get from a to b. For me, this really would be a last resort. I know this may sound silly, but I worry that she will land on the floor while I am out and be unable to get back into her cage once she's been clipped. But if it has to be done then of course I will do it. Anything to get my sweet little baby back! I hear some stories about birds who have their wings clipped and become quite introverted - that's a concern for me, because she's got such a loud personality on her, I would hate to lose that along with the bad behaviour.

Miss Jojo, did it take Bluey long to get over having her wings clipped?

Ellie, I wouldn't be surprised if you are correct! My dogs behaviour towards me has also changed since I got pregnant. Although, she went the other way and became loving and affectionate. Lulu obviously has a case of the green eyed (and feathered) monster!

Thank you all for your advice.
Sarahrahrah

Post by Sarahrahrah »

Just to add, she is having an outburst right now. The sound is deafening! She is slapping my face with her wing as she flies past, but when she lands, she looks over at me and clucks! What on earth...
Miss Jojo

Post by Miss Jojo »

Miss Jojo, did it take Bluey long to get over having her wings clipped?
With her wings clipped Bluey did become somewhat introverted and liked the security of her cage, both in it and on it. She has always been very affectionate with me but has stayed close to her cage, exploring the floor only for short periods.

Now that she is moulting and her flight feathers are growing back I can see her becoming more like her old self but without the aggression. Hopefully the wing clip did its job and I wont have to do it again but I'm keeping an open mind.

Jo
Melika

Post by Melika »

Just looking at how you are petting her in your signature picture, perhaps this article can prove helpful?

http://www.rationalparrot.com/tease.html
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
Sarahrahrah

Post by Sarahrahrah »

Hi Melika

Most of everything which is suggested in the link, I already do. The sig pic is very old now and is just a pose, I'm very careful not to stroke where I may 'excite' her.

It's really come to the point that I cannot take this behaviour any more, I'm sitting here in tears at total confusion about how her behaviour could have changed so drastically. I do not know how to stop this and I really can't take it any more, it is making my home life very difficult. I love my little bird so much, this is killing me.
Melika

Post by Melika »

As suggested, try the wing clipping. If you're worried about her getting back to her cage, put a ladder on the outside. Hane uses his ladder to get back to his cage after flapping down from his stand across the room.

Hane was flighted for almost six months after his last moult but then he began to get uppity and aggressive. Although I loved having him flighted, it was becoming unsafe. He would randomly take flight, chattering, follow my sister especially and hover over her or fly to the kitchen and try to steal food. With the back door opening all the time it was getting risky. Then he began getting hormonal and he began biting. Wings clipped and he was back to normal within two days. Animals live in the present and adapt much more quickly than we do to changes in capability.

Hane has a very bold personality and wing clipping does not change that. He's still just as charming and quirky and cunning. Just the other day he stole my dog's nylabone... and my dog was growling and baring his teeth (he knows he can't touch Hane, but sometimes snaps from a distance... those two have an odd relationship)! Hane won, hissing and lunging, LOL!

Anyway, the main point is try it and see if it helps. She will be flighted again with the next moult. :)
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay