biting ears?

Moderator: Mods

ellieelectrons

biting ears?

Post by ellieelectrons »

Hi All

Any suggestions for how to get the birds to stop biting ears?

Janey went through that stage but it eventually stopped. Charlie (almost 1) just won't seem to. Interestingly, he only bites my ear where it pokes through my ear... may be I should part my hair in the middle... however, my husband has short hair, so that won't help him.

Ellie.
julie

Re: biting ears?

Post by julie »

i would say ears look pretty tempting to our birds :D kinda toy like. I know when Mika sees our guinea pigs and rabbits he automatically tries to taste their ears but he doesnt bite them. Both indie and mika taste our ears but we managed to get them to a point where we can verbally get them to stop doing what they are doing. I casually push their beak away with my finger and say a stern no. after a while they learn what no is. Mika still growls at me when I say no and indie bows and pins but they stop what they were doing and try to bluff me.
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Thanks for the advice Julie. For me, this can be complicated by the fact that I have two on me at once... I try really hard to not play favourites. If I were to put my hand up there and Janey were nearby, she would probably bite it... she bites anything that scares her slightly or that she thinks has no business being there... Charlie wouldn't bite it... so maybe I should spend some time with just him on my shoulder training him not to bite my ear?

Ellie.
Shane7285

Post by Shane7285 »

Hi Ellie

Nemo bit my ears a few times when he was younger, completely out of the blue as he thought it was fun. All I did was remove him from my shoulder and put him back in his cage so no more fun time. He learned quite fast. He is on my shoulder everyday and hasn't bit my ear for 6-7 months now.

Regards

Shane
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Thanks Shane. Janey went through it for a bit there and doesn't do it now... except on really odd occasions... but Charlie is different.... and I have trouble getting him off my shoulder on-demand.... so that's generally one of my problems.

Ellie.