Bluffing Phase is Over!

Moderator: Mods

effekt

Bluffing Phase is Over!

Post by effekt »

Kashi and Archimedes are 8 months old now seem to be past the bluffing stage. I'm relieved but I can't say it was too bad. Kashi nipped me a few times pretty good but I just got better at sensing when she was okay with being handled and when she wanted to be left alone.

I also followed another person's strategy to deter biting. He said to not react when they bite, but if they nudge you with their beak (like pushing you away) to immediately leave them alone and walk away. Supposedly that lets them know that biting won't make you stop but if they bump your hand with their beak, that's the sign to go away.

I did that with my birds and it worked like a charm. They haven't bitten me in a few months and when they want to be left alone, they just push my hand away with their beak. And I believe they are past the bluffing, so they are more sweet in general, and Kashi who was a real terror is wanting to spend more time with me again.

Here's a pic of the gruesome twosome after a bath :)

ellieelectrons

Re: Bluffing Phase is Over!

Post by ellieelectrons »

lol - they're so cute... You've got a good lens on that camera of yours. I'm glad you said it was after a bath... on first look I thought he was bleeding! I think he's experimenting with new hairstyles. :D

Thanks for sharing your bluffing story. I'm glad it worked out so well.

Ellie.
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

effekt wrote:He said to not react when they bite, but if they nudge you with their beak (like pushing you away) to immediately leave them alone and walk away.
I think that is good advice. To birds, biting is just a form of communication.... so if they can tell you what they want by nudging you with their beak then that should cut down on the number of bites. Once you get your birds through the testing out period, I believe many birds resort to biting because their human's don't get any other messages that they send.

Ellie.
effekt

Post by effekt »

ellieelectrons wrote:I think that is good advice. To birds, biting is just a form of communication.... so if they can tell you what they want by nudging you with their beak then that should cut down on the number of bites. Once you get your birds through the testing out period, I believe many birds resort to biting because their human's don't get any other messages that they send.
Glad you like the picture :) I looked over at them when they were finished with their bath and saw his spiky head and had to get a shot.

I'm glad I read about that way of teaching them to communicate, and that it worked. Saves my fingers from getting chomped!