indian ring necks and other birds?

Moderator: Mods

exotica0095

indian ring necks and other birds?

Post by exotica0095 »

can someone here compare the temperment of indian ring necks to other birds ? LIke are they aggressive like rosellas or more passive like cockatiels?

I have a huge 250 ft square aviary i was thinking of rescuing a couple of ring necks that need a home bad my aviary has parakeets and finches in it
xx_sheena_xx

Re: indian ring necks and other birds?

Post by xx_sheena_xx »

The ringnecks will kill your parakeets and finches
exotica0095

Post by exotica0095 »

even one by itself?
bec

Post by bec »

by parakeets im assuming you mean budgerigars?
if that is the case i defintilty souldnot put a irn in with them
even if youy are lucky & the irn is a placid bird that does get along with other species budgies are known to be toe biters & the irn would kill them in retaliation
as for the finches i wouldnt even think about it!! these are definitly bird that wouldnt mix with irns at all
hisandy

Post by hisandy »

Aloha,
I have my 9 month old IRN with 2 lovebirds in one cage. They seem to get along well.
xx_sheena_xx

Post by xx_sheena_xx »

hisandy wrote:Aloha,
I have my 9 month old IRN with 2 lovebirds in one cage. They seem to get along well.
Lovebirds are much more agressive than parakeets and finches
exotica0095

Post by exotica0095 »

reemmeber this is an outdoor aviary 20 feet long 12 feet wide 9 feet high
xx_sheena_xx

Post by xx_sheena_xx »

I still wouldn't do it...
But if your willing to risk loseing your parakeets and finches then thats up to you
dog_glenn123

Post by dog_glenn123 »

My next door nieghbour had 3m by 2m aviary and had in it 1 IRN (Male) and a cockatiel,2 bugies and 2 canaries, plus guinie pigs,rabbits and a turtle they all got along well, the ringneck actually become a companion with the tiel.

Now if you do deside to go ahead it may be fine until breeding season when the female will become very teritorial and aggressive!!!
She will win any fight in the aviary so be prepared to loose a bird or 2, they chase and chase until they kill, I put a male with one of my females (IRN's) and closed the aviary door put the carry cage back in the shed and walked back over to the aviary, they where both on the ground and he was covered in blood (2 mins max).

So make sure when you introduce them you have time to sit and watch them for a day or two and have a good cage to put them in if things go wrong.

Thanks Glenn
exotica0095

Post by exotica0095 »

how would they mix with things like sun conures, jenday conures rosellas and monk parakeets?
dog_glenn123

Post by dog_glenn123 »

They are bigger birds but at a guess they would still fight but may not kill each other, but i would expect to see big injuries.

When i first started with IRN's i wonted to do the same with mixed aviary birds.

But even had trouble with 2 pairs of IRN in the same aviary, as i said before it is fine until breeding season then all hell brakes loose, They are really agressive the females that is.

Thanks Glenn
exotica0095

Post by exotica0095 »

how would ring necks do in a huge aviary with golden phesants?
exotica0095

Post by exotica0095 »

sold my finches now in my aviary i have

rosey bourkes
red rump parakeets
cockatiel
quail
and golden phesant
Melika

Post by Melika »

As always, it will depends on the bird. My IRN could never be in a mixed aviary. He's a bully and will go out of his way to pluck at another bird's feathers and feet.

Tsume, my sister's bird, would be fine because he just sorta sits there and keeps to himself.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

a good thing to think about with this sort of situation is to look at ecological scenarios.

as humans, we love to have happy notions that by mixing animals they will bond and become friends, such as may be the case with some domesticated animals, such as dogs with us.

but this simply is NOT the case. these pets, though may become complacent and even accepting of humans, are territorial and extremely reactionary. two of these together only need one slight ignition to cause chaos. we become accepted by testing and slowly breaking down barriers, retreating when its obvious we need to and rewards for good behaviour, enticements. the relationship between two of these animals is not evenly remotely like this. in a limited space, these birds will be competing for space, competing for food and competing for dominance. even if there is enough space, and enough food, it is inevitable as the birds will not understand they have human carers that will provide for them. in their eyes, they will do what they need to, and that may involve hurting or killing other competitors.

there are exceptions to this, and they MAY become tolerable, but its the decision you have to make.

nature of the beast. think about it.