Eating

Moderator: Mods

Mandy

Eating

Post by Mandy »

Hello,
Can my IRN have fruit everyday? Some websites say yes and some do not. What should be his diet? Thank you, Mandy
Misty_Anikin

Post by Misty_Anikin »

Hello Mandy,

Yes, your bird can have fruit everyday! I give my IRN fruit and veggies everyday along with seeds. He should have a varied diet. I think what you are seeing on the websites is not to have a "fruit only diet". They need variety. You should leave out a bowl of seeds and offer fresh fruit or veggies daily. There are many things you can feed your bird, rice, pasta (plain), and even cereal. Just make sure you don't give him anything too salty or too sugary. For example if you are going to give him cereal something like Cheerios are great; Also NEVER any chocolate or AVOCADO <==this can kill your bird! Hope this helps. :)
-Misty
Mandy

Diet

Post by Mandy »

Thanks Misty,
I have been giving my bird apple everyday b/c he loves it. But he looks like he is getting fat in a very short period of time. Should I be concerned and should I limit his apple? Thank you, Mandy

Post by Guest »

Mandy,

:?: Are you sure his feathers aren't just fluffed? When they are cold or resting they usually fluff out and it makes them look fatter than what they are. A lot of people see my bird and say wow he got fat but it's just him fluffing out his feathers, so that might be it.

I don't think that apples would really make him fat...unless he was a bit small and is eating better now and has gained a bit. If you are really concerned though you can talk to a vet in your area, just in case.

You can give your bird many things! Rice (cooked), plain pasta, cheerios etc. Just use good discretion, nothing too sugary or too salty. As long as you give him a variety there is nothing to worry about. Just don't give him a seed only, fruit & veggie only, or pellet only diet etc. Think of it like how we use the food groups...we have a little bit of everything. Mix it up; leave him out seeds (a cockatiel mix is great) daily, offer him different fruits and veggies daily. I even give my IRN a little piece of chicken or turkey every so often and he loves it! :shock: Hope this helps! :)
Misty_Anikin

Post by Misty_Anikin »

Mandy,

:?: Are you sure his feathers aren't just fluffed? When they are cold or resting they usually fluff out and it makes them look fatter than what they are. A lot of people see my bird and say wow he got fat but it's just him fluffing out his feathers, so that might be it.

I don't think that apples would really make him fat...unless he was a bit small and is eating better now and has gained a bit. If you are really concerned though you can talk to a vet in your area, just in case.

You can give your bird many things! Rice (cooked), plain pasta, cheerios etc. Just use good discretion, nothing too sugary or too salty. As long as you give him a variety there is nothing to worry about. Just don't give him a seed only, fruit & veggie only, or pellet only diet etc. Think of it like how we use the food groups...we have a little bit of everything. Mix it up; leave him out seeds (a cockatiel mix is great) daily, offer him different fruits and veggies daily. I even give my IRN a little piece of chicken or turkey every so often and he loves it! :shock: Hope this helps! :)
-Misty
lewi111

Re: Eating

Post by lewi111 »

Hi Mandy,,As the others have stated----yes definately give him a variety of fruit an vegies every day.Mine will eat almost anything --their favourites are apple (i think every IRN loves those !!) celery corn on the cob,pumpkin---some time raw,sometimes cooked just a little.I also make them up a mixture of cooked pasta,rice an frozen mixed vegies--they absolutly love it !!!
They also have their seed in there all the time as well.Just make sure not to give them too much sunflower seed.
Another thing you could try for variety is Parrot Pellets.Sometimes its a little difficult to get them to try them if they are used to seed.They are really good for them and there is no waste as there is with seed.
Hope this helps.
lewi111

Re: Eating

Post by lewi111 »

Hi again Mandy---
Just found this for you----
If you go to the 'Diet and Housing 'section on this forum,there is an excellent article there by Melika on what to feed your bird.Its titled "WHAT TO FEED YOUR FID (FEATHERED KID)'