Question about wing trimming and taming

Moderator: Mods

Pattu Rani

Question about wing trimming and taming

Post by Pattu Rani »

My 4 month old IRN Krishna is still very scared of people even though he was handfed. His wings were trimmed but he can still get some lift and fly out of our reach - for example if he is on top of his cage he can fly to the top of a room divider and from there under the radiator where I can't reach him :evil: . For this reason I have not really started training him yet. I used to have a Senegal and when her wings were trimmed she would glide gently to the floor but not be able to get any lift. This may sound like a strange question but is it possible to trim an IRN's feathers so he can't fly up? I've got an appointment next week with a vet for an exam and wing trimming but just wondering what other people's experience has been.
Melika

Re: Question about wing trimming and taming

Post by Melika »

Yes, you can. It takes trimming a few extra feathers. I often had to do this with my cockatiels- they are flying machines!

The vet will help you safely trim those feathers to eliminate lift.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Last season we had to get Janey's wings clipped twice. The first time she was clipped, some of her flight feathers will still growing in, so when they grew in, she was fully flighted again and we got them clipped a second time.

I was toying with the idea of letting her stay fully flighted... but we have high ceilings and Janey takes to sitting on the ceiling fans (we never put them on when the birds are out) and chewing the wires and it is impossible for us to get her down without a ladder.... so we trim then partly for her own safety and because she is more difficult to handle when they are not clipped. (I was an hour late for work once trying to coax her down from the ceiling fan!)

Ellie.
Miss Jojo

Post by Miss Jojo »

I was toying with the idea of letting her stay fully flighted... but we have high ceilings and Janey takes to sitting on the ceiling fans (we never put them on when the birds are out) and chewing the wires and it is impossible for us to get her down without a ladder.... so we trim then partly for her own safety and because she is more difficult to handle when they are not clipped. (I was an hour late for work once trying to coax her down from the ceiling fan!)

I know exactly what you mean Ellie ! :) I once had to cancel a coffee date as it took me 2 hours to get my Bluey back into her cage!!! As much as I love watching her fly about it is much safer for her and easier for me to handle her when her wings are clipped.
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

I just read your message to my husband & he reminded me that we have enough trouble getting janey back in the cage when her wings are clipped! She knows when I want her to go back but she only goes when she wants too!