Sunflower Seeds and Agression

Moderator: Mods

PythonzEve

Sunflower Seeds and Agression

Post by PythonzEve »

Ok so I've heard all over this site that sunflower seeds make IRNs more aggressive, but I have not once seen an actual study, proof or fact that they do, just coincidental and opinion. I have a lot of sunflower seeds from mammoth sunflowers I grew in my back yard (grey and white) as well as black sunflower seed. I am wary about feeding because of these claims, but wonder where the information came from?

I can understand if they were fed only sunflower seeds, as this would lead to malnourishment and as a consequence could effect the proper firing of nerves and neurons which in turn would effect the behavior, but I feed Zupreem Garden pellets, fresh fruits and veggies, seeds, raw nuts and other foods that I eat like cereal, eggs, meat, noodles and whatnot.

My Ringneck bit me before any sunflowers were fed, during sunflower feeding and even after sunflowers were withdrawn so I haven't seen him get nicer when they are withdrawn, if anything he's gotten more testy lately.

I would like reference to real proof, evidence or a study if anyone has it please.
Jessica

If one refuses to learn and maintains a closed mind, one is thus trapped from the procession of life in their own archaic self-imprisonment. -Jessica McNeely

Because my Rice Crispies told me to! -Unknown

Melika

Re: Sunflower Seeds and Agression

Post by Melika »

Huh. I suppose I've heard it thrown about here and there but never put any stock in the idea that sunflower seeds make an IRN aggressive. Though that isn't to say a specific bird won't become more aggressive... though I suspect it has something more to do with excitement and greed over the seeds.

In fact, Hane is at his nicest and sweetest when it involves sunflower seeds- because he want's them! I use them as a treat.

-digs up ancient topic- I knew this sounded familiar!
http://www.indianringneck.com/forum/vie ... f=3&t=3000
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
PythonzEve

Post by PythonzEve »

Yep! I searched through before posting as always and I read that one, but no firm facts. I have a ton of seed as I put out (good quality) bird seed for the wild birds, then I have sunflowers in my back yard so I would like to use them. Right now I'm using spray millet as seed treats and sunflower seeds here and there in foraging toys.
Jessica

If one refuses to learn and maintains a closed mind, one is thus trapped from the procession of life in their own archaic self-imprisonment. -Jessica McNeely

Because my Rice Crispies told me to! -Unknown

3tiels&aringneck

Post by 3tiels&aringneck »

I've heard the same thing about aggression, but not just in ringnecks. I think part of the sunflower thing is they are fatty types of seeds and more having issues with weight, weight gain by too much fat.
Image Bullet
Image mikey (white) and joey (blue)