EMERGENCY!!!! HELP!

Moderator: Mods

yoshi

EMERGENCY!!!! HELP!

Post by yoshi »

Ok, in the shower this morning, Yoshi got his little head in the door, but I thought he was still on his towel. I closed it slightly and he scraped his cere. The little nose hold part on his beak... It's not bleeding, but it's def got skin scraped off. He hurt it when he was younger (he's 5 months now) by flying into a screen. It scraped a little worst that time. Should I try to care for it at all or just leave it alone? I left it alone when he was a bappy and it eventually healed after scabbing up.

Please help.
U.S Marine

Re: EMERGENCY!!!! HELP!

Post by U.S Marine »

If its bleeding or open still put some baking flour on it.
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Personally, I would probably take him to the vet... but I haven't seen how bad the injury is.

I've never head of putting baking flour on a wound.

Ellie.
bec

Post by bec »

i have heard of using cornflour but not baking flour
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Wow - I wonder why that's a good thing? I would have thought putting anything on a wound could make it dirty and introduce infection?

Ellie.
Shane7285

Post by Shane7285 »

Hi Ellie

that is what I was trying to think of yesterday. It clots the blood to stop the bleeding.

Regards

Shane
Pattu Rani

Post by Pattu Rani »

I remember reading that tip in a bird first aid article a long time ago. The best thing to have on hand is styptic pencil(sold with shaving stuff at the drugstore) but you can use extra fine flour (Wondra) or cornstarch in an emergency to stop bleeding.

Hope Yoshi is OK now! :)
yoshi

Post by yoshi »

Thanks so much for all the replies! I ended up not doing anything and it healed just fine... It only took like 2 days and it's completely gone now... I was so worried!
Melika

Post by Melika »

Pattu Rani wrote:I remember reading that tip in a bird first aid article a long time ago. The best thing to have on hand is styptic pencil(sold with shaving stuff at the drugstore) but you can use extra fine flour (Wondra) or cornstarch in an emergency to stop bleeding.

Styptic pencil/powder will burn flesh if used on a flesh wound. This should only be used on nails if accidentally cutting the quick.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
Pattu Rani

Post by Pattu Rani »

Melika wrote:
Pattu Rani wrote:I remember reading that tip in a bird first aid article a long time ago. The best thing to have on hand is styptic pencil(sold with shaving stuff at the drugstore) but you can use extra fine flour (Wondra) or cornstarch in an emergency to stop bleeding.

Styptic pencil/powder will burn flesh if used on a flesh wound. This should only be used on nails if accidentally cutting the quick.
Yikes - good to know! How about if a blood feather is cut or broken? I think that is when I saw it being recommended.
Melika

Post by Melika »

Pattu Rani wrote:
Melika wrote:

Yikes - good to know! How about if a blood feather is cut or broken? I think that is when I saw it being recommended.

Best solution for a broken blood feather is to simply pull the feather out. :)
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
daniele

Post by daniele »

Melika wrote:Best solution for a broken blood feather is to simply pull the feather out. :)
yikes! what do you do? just yank it out like you were pulling out a human hair? hope i never have to go there but good to know!
ellieelectrons wrote:Wow - I wonder why that's a good thing? I would have thought putting anything on a wound could make it dirty and introduce infection?

Ellie.
yes! my little sprocket had his nails trimmed by a really crappy pet store owner who told us to put talc powder on it to help the blood clot. now i'm really worried some sort of infection has developed seeing as sprocks is limping everywhere and it's a week later and he's limping on the same foot that was nastily clipped.. trying to find an avian vet to take him to because the poor darling.. i think he's in a bit of pain. i dunno.. it could be anything? he clipped their wings really bad too so he may have hurt it on a landing or something??? very worried about my fid and hopefully i'll know more tomorrow.

anyone else ever had a limping irn?
Melika

Post by Melika »

daniele wrote:
Melika wrote:Best solution for a broken blood feather is to simply pull the feather out. :)
yikes! what do you do? just yank it out like you were pulling out a human hair? hope i never have to go there but good to know!
ellieelectrons wrote:Wow - I wonder why that's a good thing? I would have thought putting anything on a wound could make it dirty and introduce infection?

Ellie.
yes! my little sprocket had his nails trimmed by a really crappy pet store owner who told us to put talc powder on it to help the blood clot. now i'm really worried some sort of infection has developed seeing as sprocks is limping everywhere and it's a week later and he's limping on the same foot that was nastily clipped.. trying to find an avian vet to take him to because the poor darling.. i think he's in a bit of pain. i dunno.. it could be anything? he clipped their wings really bad too so he may have hurt it on a landing or something??? very worried about my fid and hopefully i'll know more tomorrow.

anyone else ever had a limping irn?
How is his foot now? It could have just been sensitivity from the short cut. But good to follow up on it.

Pulling a blood feather:
http://www.birdsnways.com/wisdom/ww13eii.htm
http://www.tailfeathersnetwork.com/bird ... athers.php

You can always put cornstarch/flour or styptic powder on the break and see if it will clot itself. Pulling is for if it won't stop bleeding. You can use styptic powder on the ends of a feather just fine, it's not flesh. But it could always begin bleeding again later so I just pull the feather.