desperately need help

Moderator: Mods

tiph2608

desperately need help

Post by tiph2608 »

HI, I REALLY NEED HELP WITH MY IRN, I HAVE BEEN TRYING SO SO HARD TO TAME HIM. I HAVE SAT WITH MY HAND IN THE CAGE WITH FOOD TO TRY AND TEMPT HIM CLOSER BUT HE JUST CLINGS TO THE OTHER SIDE OF THE CAGE, I TALK TO HIM ALL THE TIME. DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO AS I CANT GET NEAR HIM, IF I GO CLOSE HE JUST FLAPS ROUND LIKE A MAD BIRD!!! AS FOR CLEANING HIM OUT WELL THATS A TOTAL NIGHT MARE. DONT KNOW IF I SHOULD TRY THE GETTING HIM HOLD IN A TOWEL THAT I HAVE READ ABOUT AS IM WORRIED THIS WILL STRESS HIM MORE.
PLEASE PLEASE HELP
THANKS.
bec

Re: desperately need help

Post by bec »

first a few questions
1) how long have you had you irn?
it can take a while for them to settle into a new home
2) do you know the history of your bird
eg: was he hand raised or parent raised? how old
is this his first new home? do you know if it is a male ?
these things can all have an effect on how easy or hard hand taming your bird will be
& can have different needs as far as taming goes
now for some basic hints that will help with any irn
first eat in front of them irns are very food orientated & you are seen as the "head of the flock" so if you eat it must be safe so he will feel more comfortable also when you do this use a food that is safe for him to "share" curiousity is also your friend in taming he will want to check out what your eating ( for this i normaly use a fruit platter or popcorn)
secondly have his cage in a room you spend alot of time in so he can watch you when you not focused on him
eg: near your computer in the loungeroom
thirdly instead of putting your hand in the cage at this stage try feeding him treats through the bars one of mine felt alot more comfortable this way & would only eat from my hands through the bars
does your bird come out of his cage? if he does you could put out a fruit plate for him on say a coffee table near your chair he will be enticed to closer to you especialy if your not watching him
Pattu Rani

Re: desperately need help

Post by Pattu Rani »

You are me - I have a 3.5month old male IRN(Krishna) who is behaving just as you describe. The breeder shipped him to me on Aug. 26. He was handfed so I don't know why he is so scared. In the first few days he would get scared even if anyone walked by his cage, also he acted like he was really depressed, was eating OK but mostly sat still in one corner. :( Now he is more comfortable in his cage, he plays with his toys but he is still not letting anyone handle him. His wings were trimmed but he can still get some lift which makes him hard to handle - I am going to take him to a vet to trim a little bit more. Before he would sit on top of his cage and fly to the top of a room divider, then behind the radiator. I was planning on using the room divider to keep him away from the radiator once winter starts, so you see why this is a problem. He is so quiet, only makes a little peep once in a rare while or screeches when I put my hand in his cage. I was told by the breeder to towel Krishna and hold him close, pet him, but he is so stressed by this that I am just letting him relax for now. Once his wings are trimmed and he can't go under the radiator I figure I will just let him come out of the cage, sit with him on the floor and try to teach him to step up. He has done this a couple of times(stepped up to a handheld perch) but flies away afterward where I can't catch him.