still biting

Moderator: Mods

khimaniz

still biting

Post by khimaniz »

hi i just got an indian ringneck about a week ago, 3 months old birthdate of 17 may 2010. i have spent exactly a week now to ry to get my bird not to bite. i have done everything from ignoring it to using cold water spray only today and clearly things havent changed in the whole week. there is no sense of bonding at all either. i keep him on my shoulders sometimes too. every time i want him to step up or teach him to he will lung at me, anyone else that trys. i have never backed down and always kept my ground. is there something i am doing wrong? or does he need more time??

please help, thanks
Shane7285

Re: still biting

Post by Shane7285 »

Hi there

I would say you need to keep ignoring the bites. A week is not a very long time, and the bird will still be settling in. Did you buy it as handraised?

I would recommend keeping the training going and ignoring the bites. It may take a while, but eventually it will be worth it, after all you will have the bird for another 25-30 years.

Regards

Shane
khimaniz

Post by khimaniz »

i will keep going with the ignoring. i figured it would be too short of time so far. it is supposed to be handraised. it is not running from my hand, rather it is only trying to lung and bite at me and pin his eyes. i am not able to train because he will never take a treat from my hand, but he will eat alone. he likes to be alone. i also have a jenday conure but i put them in separate cages, do they have some sort of known or reputative non-liking toward these?
PythonzEve

Post by PythonzEve »

Something you should also think about is bluffing, that's what it may sound like as far as the lunging, biting, pinning and lone behavior...
Jessica

If one refuses to learn and maintains a closed mind, one is thus trapped from the procession of life in their own archaic self-imprisonment. -Jessica McNeely

Because my Rice Crispies told me to! -Unknown