advice on some birdie behaviour

Moderator: Mods

ellieelectrons

advice on some birdie behaviour

Post by ellieelectrons »

I have a 2 year old blue female (Janey) and a 1 year old DNA-sexed lutino male (Charlie). They live in the same cage. They regurgitate food to each other (usually Janey regurgitates to Charlie but occasionally it will go the other way too). Janey is reaching her sexual maturity and seems to be engaging in nesting behaviour. She also squats down low to beg for pats from me and my husband. Sometimes whilst I am patting Janey, the male will come down and watch and sometimes start biting her on the head. She doesn't seem to mind... so I guess he is trying to preen her. He seems to be biting quite close to the eye area... not like he's attacking her... but it looks a bit dangerous to me. In addition, he tries to put his foot on her head... and at first I thought it was him doing it off his own bat but sometimes I've seen her biting his feet... so maybe she is trying to tell him, she's ready to mate but he's too immature to understand. What would your take be on this behaviour? I'm never sure whether to interrupt the behaviour because I don't want to encourage agression and I don't want either of them to get hurt.. or whether it's all a part of the maturing process and I should just let it happen.

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Ellie.
Lauren
Site Admin

Re: advice on some birdie behaviour

Post by Lauren »

Sounds to me like you have some birds in love! This is what my 2 started off doing, now 3 years later they have their very 1st babies hehe. If she doesnt seem to mind him preening her, thats a good sign. Sometimes my girl doesnt want to be bothered by my male and lets him know with a snap and he will quickly move away. But she just warns him. When I 1st saw my male preening around her eyes i thought it looked 'dangerous' too. But they are very gentle! Let your birds interact and preen each other. If she doesnt like it. She will let him know. :wink:
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Thanks Lauren. That's reassuring.

My male seems to dominate my female... yet he is the gentler one of the two when it comes to interacting with us. It is my understanding that it should be the other way around? Do you think this will change with age?

Ellie.
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

:wink: maybe hes just too excited by her, hes still quite young haha. It is usually the other way round. But your 2 are still young. :wink:
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year