Freedom! ... ???

Moderator: Mods

PythonzEve

Freedom! ... ???

Post by PythonzEve »

Hi all! My name is Jessica I've wanted an IRN for about 7 years now. My husband was in the military so we moved around too much for it to be fair to a new bird, so I have waited, researched and planned for quite a while. We are now in the states and settled in so we planned and budgeted (and researched some more) for an IRN and after all the planning and getting everything ready and set up, I now have a little 5 month old blue IRN named Sukha, which is Hindu for happiness! :D

I researched and interviewed the breeder I got him from who said he had been fully weaned for a little over a month and because she had other birds still hand-feeding he hadn't gotten as much attention and made sure I knew he would take a little time. Well after getting Sukha he was anxious but settled down nicely and was eating from my hand the second day, and perching on my hand by the 4th day of both my husband and I working with him throughout the days, so I'd say he's doing fairly well or at least better than I'd expected.

With the jist of the background covered, I was wondering when I should start trying to take Sukha out? He has lunged at us a few times (not sure if he's at, past bluffing or hasn't started, but I am prepared for it) and we just grit our teeth for the most part as he tests the squishiness of our hands :P (a stern and low "No" and evil eye may be given if it gets too hard, followed by "gentle touches" [no yelling ever]), but none have been hard enough to cause any lasting pain or any injury. He is still a bit wary sometimes and doesn't always come right when called, which I prepared for training to take some time so nothing unexpected there. My confusion comes from people saying they let their birds out of the cage the first and second day, even when some of the birds are not trained or will not properly recall/listen.

For now we interact with Sukha inside the cage, right now working on "come here," "step up," and "kisses" for training. I try to sneak a gentle stroke of the finger in here and there, but he's still not too crazy about that. But just from what I've learned from trainers and whatnot, this whole process takes time, and I'm wondering is it a good idea to let a brand new bird with little to no training out of it's cage? I'm finishing making a play-stand for when he is hand trained and feels comfortable with us and he has a flight cage (33"W x 22"D x 62"T) to play around in. He has somewhere between 10-20 different toys strategically placed about the cage without crowding anything, some bought but most made and I'm making more as well as planning on getting more foraging toys to rotate in and out. He also has a variety of natural perches, and gets a pelleted staple with plenty of fresh and dried fruits and vegetables, constant access to organic wheat grass as well as the occasional eggs, cooked meat, raw almonds, and seeds.

I'd like to know if I'm wrongly imprisoning my bird, or correctly waiting and providing plenty of other stimulation until Sukha is ready. Once he's ready I plan on taking him everywhere he's allowed on an aviator harness and I also have a garden out back with a fig and peach tree he'd be able to hang out in and munch on as I work in the garden, getting nibbles from fresh goodies as I pick them. Once Sukha is fully tame I plan on perhaps letting his flight feathers grow back to offer him some outdoor flying exercise on the aviator as well. If sometime in the future I can get him tame enough to be a companion animal that visits hospitals and other people that would be great too! But I am patient, so all in good time.

I appreciate your constructive criticism, tips and advice!
Thanks in advance,
Jessica &
Sukha, my little blue bird of happiness :mrgreen:
Jessica

If one refuses to learn and maintains a closed mind, one is thus trapped from the procession of life in their own archaic self-imprisonment. -Jessica McNeely

Because my Rice Crispies told me to! -Unknown

Lauren
Site Admin

Re: Freedom! ... ???

Post by Lauren »

:D You are doing soo well. I cannot fault you. Congratulations on Sukha! :mrgreen:
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
PythonzEve

Post by PythonzEve »

So is that a yes that I'm doing the right thing by leaving him in there for now? I am gradually doing more approximations and today got him out of the cage on my hand a few times, then put him back in when he was done with the treat as he was showing a little anxiety. I don't want to force anything on him as I think he'll respect and trust me more in the long run than if I shove these things on him, like he always comes to my hand rather than me shoving my fingers in his chest until he steps on them. It's a little slower but it's working and from what I've learned it'll be better for his self confidence and our relationship in the long run.

Anyone also have some good ideas for home-made toys? Right now I'm trying to make a swing using a round braided Craftlace in different widths and I've made some snuggle-buddies out of cheap boas and sparkle springs from plastic rainbow Slinkies and oversized sequins. There are a few more but he likes those a lot.

Thanks!
Jessica
Jessica

If one refuses to learn and maintains a closed mind, one is thus trapped from the procession of life in their own archaic self-imprisonment. -Jessica McNeely

Because my Rice Crispies told me to! -Unknown

ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

I buy toy bits from a supply shop and make some toys. They love to destroy wood toys... so even though they don't last long, I know they have provided much amusement for the birds when I see them shredded on the ground.

This free e-book and website has some cool ideas. http://www.parrotenrichment.com/ I've only done the basket idea so far and it was a hit.

I sometimes string up pine cones. Charlie likes chewing on those.

Any toys that can have food hidden in them are good.

Regards

Ellie.