train to talk

Moderator: Mods

shabir

train to talk

Post by shabir »

hi i have a grey IRN and a alexandrine both about 7 months and i think there both male as i can know see a ring starting to appear. Just wanted to know when they start talking and what the best method is to train them to talk as that is 1 reason for wanting them on top of how good they look and the fun they bring.
thanks in advance for any info you can give.
sarahb

Re: train to talk

Post by sarahb »

Hi well i haven't had alot of experience but i got a young blue male irn a couple months ago he was 8 months old and he is talking like a maniac he says hi baby, what ya doing, hello, good boy and peek a boo and it only took him one afternoon to learn peek a boo which really surprised me. From what ive read they usually start at about 1yr but of course it varies on the bird, my 2yr old albino female ive had all her life and she has never said a word lol like i said i guess it depends on the bird just keep talking and repeting everything and fingers crossed he will start to pick it up.

good luck :mrgreen:
craftsmaster

Post by craftsmaster »

Sure, your parrot is smart, but his attention span is short. If you decide to conduct a marathon training session, it’ll prove counterproductive. The most effective – and quickest – way to train a parrot is with short sessions. Schedule them frequently and make them a regular habit.
Carmel Santos
Parrot Breeders & Author of The Ultimate Guide to Parrots
The Australian Guide to Parrots
sarahb

Post by sarahb »

sorry u got the wrong idea i wasn't saying sit there all day going over and over i meant say the same words over don't try to many at once kinda thing i don't sit there all day in my birds face saying words over and over or anything i just talk to him every couple hours when i walk past and spend 5-10 mins talking to him. I should of explained myself better i guess. anyway good luck :D
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

I have 2, almost 12 month old, ringies who learnt to talk a couple of months ago. I did not teach them directly, they picked it up from me talking to one of my other birds, Rafiki.
Also have a aviary ringneck who talks and taught a few other aviary birds to talk. Sometimes there is a chorus of "what are ya doing"? coming from the aviaries lol
shabir

Post by shabir »

thanks for your responses i do spend time talkin to them n keep sayin the same words for a few minutes, but i find the irn to be a bit quite only here him in the mornings and when he has his afternoon nap, or when the two birds want the same thing, is that normal as the alexandrine screams allot.
floridamedgirl

Post by floridamedgirl »

talk to your bird and ask him questions. then answer the questions. give him choices of how to answer.

Whats wrong>?
are you hungry
are you sleepy? etc,

Eventually if your bird is smart enough he will start to learn context as well as the words.

My bird will ask me whatcha doing? when he sees me working on my bonsai trees or something else he doesnt understand.
I try to remember not to just repeat back what he says (which is hard because its so cute) but instead ill say "taking a shower" or "im cleaning!" or something.

He will look at himself in the mirror and say "look at you! look at me!"

see how your bird responds to your words and actions. Everyone is different just like children.
"Wally" IRN Male DOH 3/8/09