Behaviour change - help?

Moderator: Mods

Anarthria

Behaviour change - help?

Post by Anarthria »

Hiya!

We have two indian ring necks, still quite young - somewhere between 5-8 months. Both male (one definitely, the other apparently). The blue one is older, not fully tamed but is taking an interest in the family and will sit on your hand...does like to pinch though when his on your hand. The grey one is younger and was hand raised. He was really lovely when we first got him and every morning up until a couple of weeks ago always wanted to come out first thing in the morning and play and would call demanding attention. He also love to play out of his cage and ride my shoulder.

A couple of weeks ago, we started getting our wooden floors laid and there was a lot of loud noises. I moved them later away from the noise when I realised how loud it was where the workman were.
The floors are finished but their cage is in a new spot now (same room though).

Diet is the same and the blue one is exactly the same as he was, but the grey one has become very moody since then. He refuses to leave his cage now and doesn't want to come out and ride my shoulder or even jump on my hand anymore. He also screams excessively now and I don't know what he wants...If I do get him out he flies back to his cage.

Does anyone know whats going on? Is he stressed out by the changes? Growing up? Simply moody or could he be sick? No other physical signs and appetite is just fine.

Any insight would be wonderful, thanks!
craigvik

Re: Behaviour change - help?

Post by craigvik »

Are you sure your grey bird is a male?? It could be a female and going through the bluffing period. Apparently females are more likely to go through this. The noise certainly may have stressed it but it also could be co incidental that it is going through bluffing. I am certainly no expert, as many on here are but I am going through bluffing....with my female green IRN right now. It is for us a long drawn out process and I am actually wondering if it will ever end??? I have had some good advice from here and you could read through the forum to find some helpful hints. There is an article about bluffing on this site you could read too...

Good luck with your birds!!
bec

Re: Behaviour change - help?

Post by bec »

my silver male went through a similar thing at about the same age as yours
we had to evacuate from bushfires & just after we got skeet back home and settled he was alone in his cage when a minor eathquake hit
skeet was behaving exactly like your bird is
the steps i took were i stopped forcing him out of the cage and spent alot of time feeding him treats ( popcorn & strawberries) through the open door then walking away with the bowl full of his yummies which of course made him want to follow me