IS THIS OK??

Moderator: Mods

Nerissa

IS THIS OK??

Post by Nerissa »

Hi,
I Bought a new IRN 2 days ago (she is untame), she has not fully settled yet. This morning when i went to sit with her, she was trying to force herself through the cage wires to get out. I am worried about her self-harming herself, So i opened the door. She came out.... Since she has just beeen cleaning herself, looking out the window and just seems a whole lot more relaxed. And OMG she just made her first noise then, since she has been home. I am not going to attempt to tame her for some time, but is it ok if i keep letting her out, I am worried about the stree she will go through when i put her back in, but she seems SO MUCH happier out. Is there a way i can do it to minimse the stress?? I just want her to be happy and less stressed. I am getting another bird that is tame, and im hoping he will help to relax her and get her used to me :)

Any information will be muchly appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to read my forum :)
Have a wonderful day :)
bec

Re: IS THIS OK??

Post by bec »

yeah its fine to let her out
to reduce stress from getting her back in try loading her fruit bowl with yummy treats just before bedtime (or use popcorn)
if she get herself to bed it will be less stressful for her
i did have one that found the bedtime thing so hard that as i got up to get them into bed gen jen imedietly flew to bed and sat in her cage waiting for me to shut it
most people here use the towel method i use this my self for some of my less than tame birds
julie

Post by julie »

it very muchly sounds like she may have once been tame, for her to come out and preen sounds like she is comfortable enough to let her guard down. she may be like my boy indie who once he got settled he was easily tamed.
sarahb

Post by sarahb »

Well i dont no if every bird is the same in this way but with mine ( one ive only had for a couple weeks now) When its time for bed i turn the lights out and they both get back into there cage on their own im just assuming thats because thats were they feel safe as the newest addition likes to be a bit bitey though he is getting better. First time i tried it with him i just turned the lights out in the kitchen and lounge room and left one on down the hall so i could see if he would go back in like our other one does and he did i find this to be the easyer way as i was at first having to try and wrangle him into his cage plus i leave there cage open 24hrs that way if im not up early in the morning they can get themselves out. Anyway this works for me though it might not work for everyone just thought i should mention it as it might work for you also. :wink:
Nerissa

Post by Nerissa »

Thanks for your reply.
I actually followed he around for a while (while she was trying to fly) and kept putting my hand to her chest and saying up, slowly pushing on my hand, she would bite and carry on, but i got her up :) That was early this morn, When i just got hom i let er out again, and approached her and said up and she did it YAY :) She is beginning to understand that i am not a threat to her anymore and she is learning "up" extremely fast. I am so happy :) She is a different bird when out of the cage. She seems so much more happier :) She is 2 1/2 yrs old and hasnt developed any noticeable rings around her neck, will she get them or is she too told? Not that it matters id just like to know?
Also how do you get a picture on ur profile i cant work it out ??

Thanks heaps for your reply's Anyinformation or tips are extremly appreciated.
Nerissa

Post by Nerissa »

I would love to leave my cage open 24/7 but unfortunay i have a dog that i do not trust as i have seen her catch wild birds in the past. She is not aloud in the house when the bird is out. She seems to be accepting the "up" really quickly and will actually stay on my hand as i walk her back to her cage :)

Thanks again :)
sarahb

Post by sarahb »

Yes i did forget to mention that this might not suit everyone ie people with other animals ect Well im no expert but im pritty sure they get their rings at around 2 yrs though it may be a little bit longer also it is only the male that will get a ring females dont so if it is 2yrs that they get their ring by id say thats shes a she lol ( but like i said im no expert) no doubt though u should be able to find out more though as there are alot of experienced irn owners and breeders. Anyway good to hear that you and ure girl are making progress hope all keeps going well

cheers

p.s u can add a signiture by going to ure user control panel its at the top on the right side of ure screen.
Nerissa

Post by Nerissa »

Hey,
Thanks again, i love this site, its amazing i found SO MUCh important information about IRNs, It great. I was worried i didnt know enough to get one. As my biggest worry is not being able to care for my animals correctly. And after doing a little reading and research i have found sooo much. Plus everyone on here is extremely nice and willing tohelp. Just love it :)

I dont mind if she doesnt get her ring, she is still beautiful :) And i am getting another male who already has his. Hopefully they will be friendly to eachother. :) I do have seperate cages for them. She seems extremely interested in my music :)
I have only had her for 3 days now and im new things all the time, she has an amazing personality :) I think she is going become a really nice bird YAY :)
She is actually getting closer and closer to my pc as im typing, I have the Blacke eyed peas My Humps playing :lol:
She seems rather interested :) Im so happy ill try and get a pic of her up :)
sarahb

Post by sarahb »

Yes ive only just recently found this site myself i think its great to so much usefull info and pleanty of gret people to help with questions ive owned my female ringneck caz for 2yrs now and only recently purchased my seccond buzz a blue male he is only 8 months old so wont have his ring for a while yet. They are really great animals and the differance of personalitys they all have is amazing like caz she is a pretty independent like to do her own thing but really like to snuggle even comes for the occasional drive in the car she can impersonate just about every wild bird she hears yet wont talk lol she even started impersonated the crows. then buz he is only 8 months and he is full of cheak we have only had him like 2 weeks and the lady we brough him of didnt no he could talk but on the way home from buying him in the car he was saying what ya doing lol withing 2 days he learnt hello though he is still a bit skittish around everyone well the kids mostly and does like to bite (hard) lol but he is really maing progress when i was first handling him he bit everytime to got onto ure hand now he dosnt and like to be where the action is the other day i took caz into our room to get something next minute i heard hellooo helloo i think he was like hello what about me lol And they are such quick learners cant wait to see some pics when u get them up
Nerissa

Post by Nerissa »

Here is a picture of my girl ( on the left )
and on the right is a pic i was sent of the boy im getting on saturday :)
So excitied :D
Attachments
My Babies.jpg
My Babies.jpg
Nerissa

Post by Nerissa »

for some reason my edited version didnt work but the boys name is Robby not Junes lol :)
sarahb

Post by sarahb »

Wow lovley looking birds i know what u mean about excited i was super excited to about getting my seccond he is really pretty to congrats
Nerissa

Post by Nerissa »

Thanks, I think ur birds are just beautiful :) Love the white one :) She? He? Is just geougous