wing clipping to help with taming

Moderator: Mods

nicki

wing clipping to help with taming

Post by nicki »

Hi I got a 12 week old ringneck about 5 days ago and am trying to tame it, I realise this is going to take time and patience and have been taking a slow approach starting with just putting my hand in the cage then gradually geting closer and closer it seems to be going ok apart from if I touch him he moves away frantically and flies out of the cage then flies all around the living room until he is tired then lands on curtain rail where I cant reach him ,hubby (who is tall enough to reach!) has to either try to gently get hold of him and get bitten or hold out a perch which he will go on and then put him back in cage, hubby thinks clipping his wings may help ,not just from a taming point of view but cos we are worried that he might get hurt as he has had a couple of crash landings into our patio door,but Im not sure if its ok to clip such a young birds wings would appreciate your opinions please
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Re: wing clipping to help with taming

Post by kyria »

He has had flight for a couple of weeks, if it is an issue for you I don't see a problem with having the wings clipped please do both and have it done by someone who knows how, due to blood feathers etc. and that it is no way the same as clipping chooks as some think.

The other thing you could try before clipping is towling .. search the forum using the search function above, I believe there are articles on this.

Remember it is a totally new environment for you fid, it is going to take a while (few weeks) for him to get use to his new home and depending on how handraised, it can take months (not days) to tame down.

Cheers and good luck, welcome to the family
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

jimmyjack

Re: wing clipping to help with taming

Post by jimmyjack »

when i got my IRN, he already had his feathers clipped. we've been training him alot, and now his wings have grown back and he is able to fly, he tends not to unless necessary, but is really quite happy to cruise around on our shoulder or hand. personally i think its a good idea, at least once initially. Apart from the stress of the clipping, there is no harm to the bird, and by the time they grow back, they should have calmed down and be used to your company, if not even more friendly. As you mentioned, it will also prevent them from hurting themselves flying into a window or something while in a panic.

here is a link about the towelling method if youre interested in seeing what its about.

http://www.indianringneck.com/forum/vie ... =2&t=10579

i went with training iggy to come up on our hands and building our trust with touching him, he is now letting us touch him all over, and i can cuddle him in a similar way to the towelling method without serious injury.

but as kyria mentioned, its up to the personal choice of the owner. if you are going to get it done, really really necessary to get it done by someone who knows what they are doing, or it could be very bad. plus it will probably be less stressful for the bird and yourselves!

good luck