introducing a new bird behavior

Moderator: Mods

sarahb

introducing a new bird behavior

Post by sarahb »

well i just picked up the new bird he is a blue irn and a male dna tested he is 8 months old now i already have 1 irn she is white and a female and about 2 yrs old i was told to introduce them slowly so forth i have givin him his own caage in the lounge room next to hers. last night when he was having a wonder around the house she was just following him the whole time and they fought over a few things they had found well it was more like tugawar which was fine but then this morning she was just giving him a real hard time not just chasing him of her cage but even of his really aggressive i had to put her back in her cage and shut it which i never do. Anyway its now lunch time and he has gone back into his cage the door is still open as i like them to be able to come out when ever they want and she is out of her cage now to and is over sitting on top of his cage does this mean she might be warming up to him or is it more likley she is just keeping an eye on him. We have had her for around 2 yrs now and she has never had another bird in the house to compete with if she is just keeping an eye on him will she ever get used to him and want him around or will it get better in time i actually brought him to be a freind for her and at the moment she dont want to be civil yet alone freinds lol. The kids got 3 budgies not long ago one for each of them and she really dosnt like them either. She also never has had a desire to be on the floor but everytime (buzz) the new boy is down there she has to be to just to follow and watch what his doing.

p.s also at what age can they start talking i didnt ask the breeder if he could talk but im sure he was talking or at least it really sounded like it today when the tv was up loud
pinkdevil

Re: introducing a new bird behavior

Post by pinkdevil »

Sounds like your girl is very jealous and does not want to share her 'mummy' with another bird.
As she has had the house to herself, she most likey considers it to be her domain and she is not happy about others intruding on her territory.

I have a female ringie that I raised and eventually placed her in an aviary. I gave her a man friend and she really did give him a hard time, very hard time. The first boy I gave her I ended up removing as I am sure she would have killed him. The second male I placed in with her was more mature than the other IRN and stood up to her a bit more. She still gave him a hard time but love won in the end and last season she finally allowed him to eat at the food bowl, not her discarded offerings she tossed on the ground. lol
I knew they had eventually 'connected' when I saw him feeding her.

Over time I think your girl will accept the new boy on the block as well. Just need to keep a good eye on things when they are out together just incase things get out of hand.

I think ringies start talking around 1 year old, give or take a few months.
Elivia

Post by Elivia »

My male ringneck Bluey started talking at about 7 months old i think. He is almost a year old now. we were quiet shocked as we were not expecting it so early! now he never shuts up. i have read though that they will talk when the time comes and i have also read that some never talk but just make their bird noises. Since i have had Bluey in his cage (as i hand reared him and he started off in a picnic basket i carried to work every day. lol. ) i have always approached his cage saying 'what you doing Bluey' and i guess me saying this everyday repeatingly to him he has picked up on it. maybe you could try saying something all the time (like when you greet him in the morning) and he mght pick up on it?
sarahb

Post by sarahb »

Thanks for the replies they were actually being civil to each other tonight which is good. And i know the whole some never talk just make bird noises all to well as it seems caz is one of thoose birds much to my dissapointment lol but i still love her anyway. I am almost positive i heard buzz say hello again tonight which is really exciting as i really wanted a bird that talks even if i have to wait i dont mind at least if he didnt say something he is trying which is more then i can say about caz lol she even mimics the crows now to. but anyway thanks again for the replies and info i really appreciate it its good to have somewhere that you can go to for answers lol. :mrgreen:
Lilly

Post by Lilly »

Well I don't know about talking but Gomez already mimics a couple of sounds I do to him/her already, I do spend a lot of time talking to him and he's only two months old.
effekt

Post by effekt »

I have 2 IRNs that are 4 months old and never been separated but they still fight quite a bit. They definitely have times when they need their space, and about half the time they sleep on opposite ends of the cage.

I keep a very close eye on them and if they start getting too aggressive to each other I'm going to put them in separate cages.

Ringnecks are so unique with their personality and they definitely go their own way, but I think that's why they are so rewarding.